The River of THAMES. 28

The River of THAMES.

Thus much for Waters serving this City; First, by Rivers, Brooks, Bourns, Fountains, Pools, &c. And since by Conduits, partly made by good and charitable Citizens, and otherwise by Charges of the Commonalty; as shall be more amply shewed in our Description of the Wards wherein they are placed.

And now some Benefactors to these Conduits shall be remembred.

In the Year 1236, certain Merchant Strangers, of Cities beyond the Seas, to wit, of Amiens, Corby, and Nele, for Privileges which they enjoyed in this City, gave 100l. towards the Charges of conveying Water from the Town of Teyborne.

Benefactors towards the Water-Conduits.

Robert Large, Maior, 1439, gave to the new Water Conduits then in hand, 40 Marks; and towards the Vaulting over of Walbroke, near to the Parish Church of S. Margaret's in Lothbury, 200 Marks.

Sir William Eastfield, Maior, 1438, conveyed Water from Teyborne to Fleetstreet, where he began a Conduit, and to Aldermanbury, and from * Hightory to Creplegate.

* Highberie first Edit.

William Combes, Sheriff, 1441, gave to the Work of the Conduits, 10l.

Richard Rawson, one of the Sheriffs, 1476, gave 20l.

Robert Revel, one of the Sheriffs, 1490, gave 10l.

John Mathew, Maior, 1490, gave 20l.

William Bucke, Taylor, in the Year 1494, towards Repairing of Conduits, gave 100 Marks.

Dame Thomasin, Widow, late Wife to Sir John Percivall, Merchant Taylor, Maior, in the Year 1498, gave toward the Conduit in Oldborne, 20 Marks.

Richard Shore, one of the Sheriffs, 1505, gave to the Conduit in Oldborne, 10l.

The Lady Ascue, Widow to Sir Christopher Ascue, 1543, gave towards the Conduits, 100l.

David Woodroofe, Sheriff, 1554, gave toward the Conduit at Bishopsgate, 20l.

Edward Jackman, one of the Sheriffs, 1564, gave towards the Conduits, 100l.

Bernard Randulph, Common Serjeant of the City, 1583, gave to the Water Conduits, 900l.

Thus much for the Conduits of fresh Water to this City.


How this Vast and Populous City of London, with its Suburbs, is supplied with Water.

 

Of the forementioned Conduits of fresh Water that serve the City, the greater Part of them do still continue, where first erected; but some, by reason of the great Quantity of Ground they took up, standing in the midst of the principal and high Streets of the City, were a great Hinderance not only to Foot Passengers, but to Porters, Coaches and Cars; and therefore thought fit to be taken down, and to be removed to Places more convenient, and not of that Resort of People. So that the Water is still the same.

What Conduits taken away since the Fire; and what still in being.

R. B.

The Conduits taken away and removed with their Cisterns, are,

The great Conduit at the East End of Cheapside.

The great Conduit called the Tun in Cornhill.

The Standard in Cheapside.

The little Conduit at the West End of Cheapside.

The Conduit in Fleetstreet.

The great Conduit in Grass Church Street.

The small Conduit in the Stocks Market.

The Conduit at Dowgate.

The rest of the Conduits beforementioned are still remaining. So that, what with the Spring Water coming from the several Spring Heads through the Streets of the City to these Cisterns, the New River Water from Chadwell and Amwell, and the Thames Water raised by several Engines, or Waterhouses; there is not a Street in London, but one or other of these Waters runs through it in Pipes, conveyed under Ground: And from those Pipes, there is scarce a House, whose Rent is 15 or 20l. per Ann. but hath the Convenience of Water brought into it, by small Leaden Pipes laid into the great ones. And for the smaller Tenements, such as are in Courts and Alleys, there is generally a Cock or Pump common to the Inhabitants; so that I may boldly say, there is never a City in the World that is so well served with Water.]



28

CHAP. VI.

Of the Ancient and Famous River of THAMES ; Whence it deriveth her Head or Original, and so conveyeth it self on to the City's Service; being supplied by divers other sweet Rivers in her Course . Its Tides and Overflowings .

YOU have already heard, what Rivers, Brooks, Bourns, Pools and Conduits of fresh Water have liberally afforded (out of their Plenty) most commodious Help for the Service of so great a City. And yet the River of Thames, much more famous than all the rest, yielding by Forciers, Conduits, and other Means of Conveyance, inestimable Benefit to the City, we have said little or nothing of her due Worth, neither of her Antiquity, Course and Original; all which deserve to be more especially respected. According therefore to the Advice of very wise and learned Judgments, and borrowing such Helps as they have gladly lent me, I will begin with the Head or Spring of this famous River, and shew how it glideth along in Current, until it come to embrace the Bosom of the Sea, and there to take up her Entertainment in his liquid Arms.

The River of Thames a chief Honour to the Whole Land, and especially to the City of London.

A. M.

Giving credit to such Mens Writings, as have (of set Purpose) sought out the Spring of the Thames, it is faithfully affirmed, That this famous Stream hath her Head or Beginning out of the side of an Hill, standing in the Plains of Cotswold, in Glocestershire, about a Mile from Tetbury, in the same County, near unto the Fosse, (an Highway so called of old) where it was sometime named Isis, or the Ouse: although divers do (ignorantly) call it Thames even there; rather of a foolish Custom, than any Skill; because they either neglect, or are utterly ignorant, how it was named at the first. From hence it runneth directly toward the East, (as all good Rivers should do) and meeteth with the Cirne or Churne, a Brook,

The Head or Beginning of the Thames out of the side of an Hill in Cotswold, near to Tetbury.

Isis, or the Ouse.

The Cirne called Corinium.

called