|Other Free Schools. Charity Schools. ||172
In Whitechapel is another Free School, founded by Mr. Davenant, late Rector of
Whitechapel: the Salary is 20l. per Annum: And is, or lately was, in the Hands
Trustees, Mr. Sabin, Mr. Bateman, and Mr. West. Mr. Case Master. This School
been considerably endowed, and the Number of Children to be taught enlarged, by
Gift of a Thousand Pounds, sent by some nobly minded, but unknown, Lady. Which
hath been laid out by the Parishioners for the Purchase of Lands in Tilbury, the
whereof is for the yearly Maintenance of the School and Children.
School in Whitechappel.
Another Free School is situate in St. James's Clerkenwell, in the Road going to
Islington, founded by Mrs. Alice Owen, Widow first of Alderman Elkin, and
of Judge Owen; endowed with 22l. per Ann. To which is a Chapel and an Almshouse
adjoined, given by the same charitable Hand.
School in Clerkenwell.
There be doubtless several other Free Schools in the Suburbs and Neighbourhood
London. As that at Hackney, in the Church-yard, founded long ago in the Time
as it is said by Christopher Urswyke, some time Rector there; with an House for
Master. On which is engraven toward the Street these Words, EXTRUCTA FUIT
HAEC DOMUS ANNO DOM. 1519. CHRISTOPHORO URSWYKE, RECTORE.
And in another Place, MEMORARE NOVISSIMA. Mrs. Margaret Awdley, some time
an Inhabitant of Hackney, (whose House was in Clapton, where Mr. Howard now
lives) for the Encouragement of the Schoolmaster, gave a Salary of 20l. per Ann.
Which Mr. Lupton, the present Master, enjoyeth.
If we should now pass over the Bridge to Southwark, there we should meet with
great Free Schools.
St. Mary Overies School.
One in the Parish of St. Mary Overies: It is a very fair Building of Brick,
situate on the
south side of the Church, founded in the FourthYear of Queen Elizabeth, Anno
1562, in the Place, as some say, where the Prior of the Priory of St. Mary
House stood, which the Parishioners bought, and built the School thereon. This
School, with the Housing for the Master, was burnt down in the Year 1676, but
again very gracefully and conveniently. Over the Back Door is an old Stone
from the Fire, with this Inscription in Capitals; LIBERA SCHOLA
GRAMMATICALIS PAROCHIANORUM PAROCHIæ SANCTI
SALVATORIS IN SOUTHEWARKE IN COM. SURRIE. ANNO IVto.
REGNæ ELIZABETHAE. It is governed by a Master, whose Salary is 30l. per
Annum, and an Usher, whose Salary is 20l. per Annum. It is free for such poor
Children as are born in the Parish. It hath at present, or lately had about
Scholars. It is taken care of by Six Governors; whose Qualifications must be,
they have been Upper Churchwardens, and have served all the other Offices in the
Parish. The Vacancies are fill'd by Election among themselves, of some duly
Person or Persons. There is also a Writing School hard by, for the Conveniency
School, for Thirty Boys to learn to write and read. The Salary is 20l. per Ann.
was given by Mrs. Appleby. Abraham Anthony is the Schoolmaster of this Writing
School; and the Master of the Free School is Mr. Simms.
The other Free School in Southwark, is that situate in the Parish of St. Olaves.
School was first set on foot by some of the Parishioners; who afterward were
Corporation by Letters Patents from Queen Elizabeth. By virtue whereof
there be appointed over it Sixteen Governors, whereof the Rector is always one.
are to be Men of the best Quality and Reputation in the Parish. And when one
another is chosen by the Survivors to supply his room. In this Foundation are
Schools, namely, for Latin, Writing, and Reading. And for this Purpose it
Master and three Ushers. The Latin Master, who is the chief Master, his Salary
per Annum; and hath an Usher under him, who is called the Latin Usher: His
30l. per Annum. The Writing Master, or Usher, hath 40l. per Annum. And the
Reading Master or Usher 20l. per Annum. There is an House for the chief Master,
another for the Reading-Usher. In this School are taught three hundred Boys.
well endowed with Rents from several Houses and Lands in Horseydowne in
Southwarke, Little Britain, &c. The present, or late Master is, or was the
St. Olave's School.
In Westminster also, beside the Queen's School belonging to the Collegiate
the Free Schools in St. Martins in the Fields, and at St. James's, Mr. Palmer's
in St. Margaret's Parish, and others; which shall be taken Notice of, when we
the Description of that City.
Schools in Westminster.
There be also many private Schools kept in and about London; where the
Schoolmasters hire the School Rooms themselves, and receive Salaries or
for teaching.: Some for teaching the learned Languages, Latin and Greek; some
Writing and Arithmetick, and Merchants Accounts; and some for Mathematicks,
Geography, and Navigation; that so the Youth of the City may be brought up to be
hereafter useful to the Publick; some in the Church; some in the State; some for
and Travel abroad; some for Trade and Business at home; and finally, that all
Members of this Metropolis might be able to get an honest Maintenance, and be
serviceable to the Crown, or otherwise, whensoever there be occasion. The most
of these private Grammar Schools are these: The School in St. Mary Axe, Mr.
now or late Master: The School near St. Lawrence Jewry Church, Mr. Wooten
The School in Christ Church Parish, Mr. Brice Master: The School adjoining to
Church of St. Bartholomew Exchange: The School adjoining to the Church of
Alhallows Lombard Street: The School in Cloth Fair adjoining to Great St.
To these we must add, to the eternal Credit and Honour of the City, and to the
the Blessing of God upon it, those sundry Schools of Charity (unknown to former
Times) set up of late by the pious good Wills of many Citizens, exhibiting
thereunto, both for poor Boys and Girls, not only to teach them Reading,
Sowing, Spinning, and other Manufactures, and bringing them up in Christian
Knowledge and good Manners; but also to furnish them with Cloaths, and to put
forth in due Time to Trades, to enable them hereafter to procure Livelihood to
themselves in an honest way. Of which Schools in and about London and
there were in Number Fifty four, so long past as Anno 1704. Wherein were taught
partly cloathed 1398 Boys, 745 Girls. Voluntary Subscriptions towards these
about 2164l. Gifts from the Beginning for their Maintenance 3199l. 10s. besides
Collections at Sermons, set up by the Societies, 1042l. And from these Schools
306 Boys and 75 Girls been put forth Apprentices. Which Benefactions since that
are vastly increased, as will be shewn hereafter.