Bethlem Hospital. 192

Bethlem Hospital.


BENEFACTORS to the Hospital of BRIDEWELL.

 

 l.s.d.
John Vernon, Merchant Taylor,00500
Richard Goddard, Draper,20000
George Smithies, Goldsmith,01000
Sir John Lyon, Grocer,02500
Sir Woolstone Dixie,0200 0
Sir J. Swinnerton, Merch Tayl.01000
Sir Thomas Hunt, Skinner,02500
Peter Blundel, Cloth-Worker, by the Year,00800
Gaius Newman, Goldsmith,00300
John Newman, Grocer,0020 0
Richard Jacob, Vintner, by the Year,00200
John Berryman, Clothier,00200
John Ireland, Salter,0010 0
Thomas Thorney, Barber-Surg.00500
Henry Butler, Draper,0050 0
Geo. Chamberlain, Ironmonger,01000
Thomas Church, Draper,01000
Will. Parker, Merchant-Tayl.20000
Henry Walcot, Grocer,0036 8
Mrs. Anne Whitmore, 1000 0
Richard Culverwell, Brewer,20000
John Kendrick, Draper,20000

R. B.

All these were before the Year of our Lord 1633.

This Hospital hath the same President and Governors with that of Bethlem, which under the Account of that Hospital will be mentioned.

President and Governors.

J. S.

More of this House of Bridewel, as to the Antiquities and Founding of it may be seen, when the Reader comes to the Ward of Faringdon without, in which it stands.

There are other Houses of Correction, belonging to the Cities of London and Westminster, and Parts adjacent, and both called by the Name of Bridewel, as being for the said Purpose. The one is by Clerkenwel Church, commonly called New Prison; and this belongs to the County, as well as to the adjacent Parts. And to this all such Lewd and Disorderly Persons as aforesaid, are committed by the Justices of the Peace for the County, and are there kept to Work, and Punishment inflicted on them, as the Justices at their Sessions shall think fit.

Other Houses of Correction.

The other House of Correction for the said Offences is in Tuttle Fields, and is for the Liberty of Westminster.]


BETHLEM HOSPITAL; commonly called BEDLAM.

 

THE Hospital of St. Mary of Bethlem, seated in Bishopsgate Ward, without the City Wall, betwixt Bishopsgate-street and Moorfields; first founded by Simon Fitz Mary, one of the Sheriffs of London, in the Year of our Lord 1246, to be a Priory of Canons with Brethren and Sisters, and to wear a Star upon their Copes and Mantles; and to receive the Bishop of Bethlehem, and the Canons or Messengers of the Church of Bethlehem, whensoever they should have occasion to travel hither; as will appear more at large in the said Fitz Maries Charter, exemplified in its proper Place in Bishopsgate Ward.

First Founded for a Priory of Canons with Brethren and Sisters.

R. B.

K. Henry VIII. gave this House to the City of London. They converted it to a House or Ho- spital for the Cure of Lunaticks: But not without Charges at so much the Week, for these brought in, if they or their Relations were of Ability; and if not, then at the Parish Charge, in which they were Inhabitants.

This Hospital stood in an obscure and close Place, near unto many common Sewers; and also was too little to receive and entertain the great Number of distracted Persons, both Men and Women. Therefore upon a charitable Consideration of the same, the Lord Maior, Aldermen, and Common Council of the City of London, did grant unto the Governors a sufficient Piece of Ground against London Wall on the Southside of the Lower Quarters of Moorfields. And in pursuance thereof they did proceed to build a new Hospital, which now shews a stately and magnificent Structure, containing in length from East to West 540 Foot, and in Breadth 40 Foot, besides the Wall which incloseth the Gardens before it, which is neatly ordered with Walks of Free Stone round about, and Grass Plats in the Middle. And besides this Garden, there is at each end another for the Lunatick People, when they are a little well of their Distemper, to walk in for their Refreshment; this Wall is in Length 680 Foot, and in Breadth 70 Foot at each end, being very high; and that part fronting the Fields hath Iron Grates in several Places of the Wall, to the end that Passengers, as they walk in the Fields, may look into the Garden.

Bethlem for Lunaticks.

New Bethlem seated in Moorfields.

Dimensions of it.

This large Fabrick is built of Brick and Free Stone; the Gate or Entrance all of Stone, with two Figures of a distracted Man and Woman in Chains (a curious Piece of Sculpture) over the Gate. And in this, as well as in the Building, the Architecture is good. It hath a large Cupolo with a gilded Ball, and a Vane at the Top of it, and a Clock within, and three fair Dials without.

And behold here in a Map a Prospect of the Building fronting the Fields.

The great Benefit that doth accrue hence to the City of London, and other Parts of this Kingdom, is very considerable, if we consider the great Number of distracted Persons brought in Yearly, and most receiving Cure, and being for the most part Poor and Indigent.]

The Benefit of this Hospital to the Kingdom.

But to give yet a further and more particular Account of the present State of this noble and useful Foundation, the late learned Physician to the same, Dr. Edward Tyson, was, upon my Solicitation, pleased to draw up this brief Relation following:

New Bethlem.

J. S.

The Hospital of Old Bethlehem being ruinous, and too strait and close for the Patients; in the year 1675, the Lord Maior, Aldermen, Governors, and Citizens of London, began to build this new Hospital in Moorfields, nigh the Wall of the City: And though the Structure be so large and magnificent, yet by the great Application that was made in hastning the Building, 'twas finished the next Year, as appears by an Inscription over the Arch facing the Entrance into the said Hospital, viz.

Dr. Tyson.

This Hospital was begun to be built in April, 1675, and was finished in July, 1676.
Sir William Turner, Knt. and Alderman, President.
Benjamin Ducane, Esq; Treasurer.

The Charge of this Building was computed to amount to nigh 17000l. where now (with some Additions lately made) there is an Accommodation for 150 Patients, whereas in the old there were usually but 50 or 60.

The