Bishopsgate Ward. St. Mary Spittal. 97

Bishopsgate Ward. St. Mary Spittal.

guard thereof, have, for every two Pieces, one such Sea-faring Man, as should be a Scholar, to be taught and instructed in the Science of shooting in great and small Ordonance, according to the Intent of her Majesty's Allowance for the same Purpose. That there might be, by the chief Masters, such strait Commandment given to the four Under-masters and the Master Gunner, that that Powder and other her Majesty's Allowances, for teaching and instructing of Scholars in the Science or Mystery of Shooting in great and small Ordonance, be by them justly and truly expended about the same Purpose that it was allowed for, and not otherwise, upon some Pain and Penalty. That the four Associates or Under-masters, with the Master Gunner, for the better Service of her Majesty, might have the Proof of all such Saltpetre, Coal, Sulphur, Powder, Match, Ordonance, Carriages, Wheels, Stocks and Iron-work, as should be for her Majesty's Service and Store: and that none should be received, but that which they should find to be good and fit for Service; and that upon a Penalty to be appointed by their Honours. Lastly, that there might be set down such a perfect Government in every of her Majesty's Ships by their Honours, both for their own Safe-guards, and for a Terror to the Enemy, as heretofore was never put in practice by any.

And all this, this Thomas the rather offered at this Time, since the Queen had now gotten a puissant Navy of Ships for Defence, and the Nobility at their own Charges, had furnished it with great and terrible Ordonance, for the Terror of her Enemies; but there was a great want of skilful Men to supply the room of Gunners: So that, if Proof were made, he asserted, there would not be found skilful Gunners sufficient for four of her Men of War. But this Motion I think came to Nothing.]

There was also afterwards, for the laying up and preserving of the Arms, an Armoury built. The Foundation of this Armoury of that remarkable Nursery of Military Discipline, called The Artillery Garden, London, was begun to be erected the first Day of May, An. Dom. 1622. and was finished the last of November then next following, Colonel Hugh Hamersley being then President, Edward Pierse Treasurer, Henry Petowe Marshal, and John Bingham Esq; Captain, and one of the Council of War for this Kingdom.

The Foundation of the Armoury there.

R.

Upon which Monument these Lines following were composed.

LONDON's Honour, and her Citizens approved Love, exercising Arms in the Artillery Garden London.

The Fabrick.
This Architecture, Phænix of our Age,
(All Europe cannot shew her Equipage)
Is Mars his Mistress, which retains the Store
Of Mars his Arms, being Mars his Paramore.
This Fabrick was by Mars his Soldiers fram'd,
And Mars his Armouries this Building nam'd.

The Soldiers Honour.
It holds five hundred Arms, to furnish those
That love their Sovereign, and will daunt his Foes.
They spend their time, and do not spare for Cost;
To learn the use of Arms, there's nothing lost.
Both Time and Coin, to do their Country good,
They'll spend it freely, and will lose their Blood.

The Aldermen's Love.
Our City London is a Royal thing;
For it is called The Chamber of our King.
Whose worthy Senate we must not forget.
Their Grant and our Request together met.
They cherish us, and we do honour them;
Where Soldiers find true Love, they'l love again.

The Ground.
The Ground whereon this Building now doth stand,
The Teasel Ground hath heretofore been nam'd.

The Donor of the Ground.
And William Prior of the Hospital
Then of our blessed Lady, which we call
Saint Mary Spittle without Bishopsgate,
Did pass it by Indenture, bearing date
January's third Day in Henry's Time
Th' Eighth of that Name: the Covent did conjoin.

The Use.
Unto the Guile of all Artillery,
Cross-Bows, Hand-Guns, and of Archery.

The Term of Years.
For full three hundred years, excepting three;
The Time remaining we shall never see.

The Council's Confirmation.
Now have the noble Council of the King
Confirm'd the same, and under Charles his Wing
We now do exercise, and of that little
Teasel of Ground, we inlarge St. Mary Spittle.
Trees we cut down, and Gardens added to it:
Thanks to the Lords, that gave us leave to do it.

A loyal Subjects Desire.
Long may this Work endure, and ne'er decay,
But be suported till the latest day.
All loyal Subjects to the King and State,
Will say Amen, maugre all Spleen and Hate.

Marischallus Petowe composuit.]

Then have ye the late dissolved Priory and Hospital of our blessed Lady, commonly called, Saint Mary Spittle, founded by Walter Brune, and Rofia his Wife, for Canons regular Walter, Archdeacon of London, laid the first Stone in the Year 1197. William of Saint Mary Church, then Bishop of London, dedicated it to the Honour of Jesus Christ, and his Mother the perpetual Virgin Mary, by the Name of Domus Dei, and Beatæ Mariæ, extra Bishopsgate, in the Parish of St. Buttolph. The Bounds whereof, as appeareth by Composition betwixt the Parson and Prior of the said Hospital, concerning Tithes, beginning at Berward's Lane toward the South., and extendeth in breadth to the Parish of St. Leonard of Soreditch towards the North; and in length, from the King's Street on the West to the Bishop of London's Field, called Lollesworth on the East. The Prior of this St. Mary Spittle, for the emortising and propriation of the Priory of Bikenacar in Essex, to his said House of St. Mary Spittle, gave to Henry VII. 400l. in the 22d of his Reign.

St. Mary Spittle.

Walter Brune Mercer, one of the Sheriffs of London 1203.

Berwards Lane.

Soreditch so called more than 400 years since.

This Hospital surrendred to H. VIII. was valued to dispend 478l. Wherein, besides Ornaments of theChurch, and other Goods pertaining to the Hospital, there were found standing 180 Beds well furnished, for Receipt of the Poor of Charity. For it was an Hospital of great Relief. Sir Henry Plesington, Kt. was buried there 1452.

In Place of this Hospital, and near adjoining, are now many fair Houses builded, for Receipt and Lodging of worshipful and honourable Persons.

Here was the House of a famous Italian Merchant, and Ambassador, much employed by Queen Elizabeth, namely Sir Horatio Pallavicini. And in this same House in the first Year of K. James I. the Ambassador from the Archduke of Austria lodged with his Company.

Sir Hor. Pallavicini's House.

J. S.

I find Queen Elizabeth in the Month of April 1559. coming in great State from St. Mary Spittle attended with a thousand Men in Harness, with Shirts of Mail, and Corslets and Morice Pikes; and ten great Pieces carried through London unto the Court, with Drums and Flutes and Trumpets sounding, and two Morice-Dancings.

Queen Elizabeth at St. Mary Spittle.

And