Candlewick Street Ward. St. Michael Crooked Lane. 185

Candlewick Street Ward. St. Michael Crooked Lane.

From the Merchant Taylors Company for Coals, being the Gift of several Benefactors, viz.

Mr. Helden,001000
Mr. Langwith,0306 08
Mr. Creeks,011004
Mr. Tomlinson,0310 00
Mrs. Thomazin Evans, to be paid
by the Clothworkers, for Coals,
Mrs. Stoaks from the Drapers,020000
Mr. Ashlin of the Pewterers Com-
pany, to be given in single
Mr. Tho. Gresham, for the Poor
from Mr. Gresham,

A Parsonage House before the Fire: Burnt down: Rebuilt; leased to Henry Whister, Esq; Anno 1677, for sixty Years. The Ground Rent reserved to the Rector, being 5l. per annum.]


On the South side of this Ward, beginning again at the East, is St. Michaels Lane. Which Lane is almost wholly of this Ward, on both sides down towards Thames Street, to a Well or Pump there. On the East side of this Lane is Crooked Lane aforesaid, by St. Michaels Church, towards New Fish Street. One of the most ancient Houses in this Lane, is called the Leaden Porch, and belonged sometime to Sir John Merston, Kt. the first of Edward the Fourth: It is now called the Swan in Crooked Lane, possessed of Strangers, and for selling of Rhenish Wine.

St. Michaels Lane.

Crooked Lane.

Leaden Porch in Crooked Lane.

The Parish Church of S. MICHAEL Crooked Lane.


The Parish Church of S. Michael's was sometime but a small and homely thing, standing upon part of that Ground, wherein now standeth the Parsonage House: And the Ground thereabout was a filthy Plot, by reason of the Butchers in Eastcheap, who made the same their Laystall.

St. Michael in Crooked Lane.

W. de Burgo, gave two Messuages to that Church, in Candlewick Street, 1317. John Loveken, Stockfishmonger, four times Maior, builded (in the same Ground) this fair Church of S. Michael, and was there buried in the Quire, under a fair Tomb, with the Images of him and his Wife in Alabaster. The said Church hath been since increased with a new Quire, and side Chapels by Sir W. Walworth, Stockfishmonger, Maior, sometime Servant to the foresaid John Loveken.

Loveken the Founder.

The said Walworth founded here a College of one Master and nine Chaplains to celebrate Mass, in the 4. R. 2. in the Chapels aforesaid.]

Walworth's College.

J. S.

This Church was repaired and beautified in the Year of our Lord God, 1610. In the Year 1621. the whole Roof of it, found to be greatly decayed and perished, was taken down, and with strong and sufficient Timber rebuilded, and with the Lead new cast covered again: The Charge of it amounting to 500l. Not long after this, two Windows at the East end of the Church, very much defaced and decayed, were repaired; the Charge of it 40l.]



This new rebuilt Church of S. Michaels Crooked Lane was finished Anno 1688. Beautified, and the Steeple finished Anno 1698. It is a fair Church, built without Pillars.]

New built.

J. S.

The Tomb of Loveken was removed, and a flat Stone of grey Marble, garnished with Plates of Copper laid on him, as it yet remaineth in the body of the Church.

Loveken the Founders Tomb.

William Walworth aforesaid, is reported to have slain Jack Straw in Smithfield, and there to have been therefore Knighted by the King. But that is not true: For Jack Straw being afterward taken, was first adjudged by the said Maior, and then executed by the loss of his Head in Smithfield. How be it, true it is, that this William Walworth, being a Man wise, learned, and of an incomparable Manhood, arrested Wat Tyler, a presumptuous Rebel, upon whom no Man durst lay Hand. Whereby he delivered the King and Kingdom from most wicked tyranny of Traytors. The Maior arrested him on the Head with a sound Blow: Whereupon Wat Tyler furiously struck the Maior with his Dagger, but hurt him not, by reason he was well armed. The Maior having received his Stroke, drew his Basiliard, and grievously wounded Wat in the Neck, and withal, gave him a great Blow on the Head: In the which Conflict, an Esquire of the King's House, called John Cavendish, drew his Sword, and wounded Wat twice or thrice, even to the death: And Wat spurring his Horse, cryed to the Commons to revenge him: The Horse bare him about eighty Foot from the place, and there he fell down half dead: And by and by, they which attended on the King, environed him about, so as he was not seen of his Company: Many of them thrust him in, in divers places of his Body, and drew him into the Hospital of St. Bartholomew, from whence again the Maior caused him to be drawn into Smithfield, and there to be beheaded. In reward of this Service (the People being dispersed) the King commanded the Maior to put a Basenet on his Head: And the Maior requesting, why he should so do, the King answered, he being much bound unto him, would make him Knight. The Maior answered, that he was neither worthy, nor able to take such an Estate upon him; for he was but a Merchant, and had to live by his Merchandise only. Notwithstanding, the King made him to put on his Basenet, and then with a Swird in both his Hands, he strongly stroke him in the Neck, as the manner was then. And the same Day he made three other Citizens Knights (for his sake) in the same place, to wit, John Philpot, Nicolas Brember, and Robert Launde, Aldermen. The King gave to the Maior 100l. Land by year, and to each of the other 40l. Land yearly to them and their Heirs for ever.

Fable of W. Walworth and Jack Straw reproved.

Praise of W. Walworth for his Manhood in arresting of Wat Tyler.

The Maior was well armed, and had on his Head a Basenet.

T. Walsing.

H. Knighton.

Li. S. Mary Eborum.

Maior made Knight, and otherwise rewarded.

Order of making a Knight for Service in the Field.

Three other Aldermen Knighted.

After this, in the same year, the said Sir William Walworth founded in the said Parish Church of St. Michael, a College, of a Master and nine Priests or Chaplains, and deceasing 1385. was there buried in the North Chapel by the Quire: But this Monument being amongst other (by bad People) defaced in the Reign of Edward VI. was again since renewed by the Fishmongers. Who for lack of knowledge, whatsoever before had been written in his Epitaph, followed a fabulous Book, and wrote Jack Straw, instead of Wat Tyler, a great Error, meet to be reformed there, and elsewhere. And therefore have I the more at large discoursed of this Matter.

A College founded in St. Michaels Crooked Lane.

Monument of Sir W. Walworth defaced, and since falsified, and so remaineth.

This second Monument after the profane demolishing of the first, was set up in June 1562. with his Effigies in Alabaster in Armour gilt richly; by the Fishmongers, saith Stow; at the Cost of William Parvis Fishmonger, that dwelt at the Castle in New Fishstreet, saith a MS. in the Cotton Library: perhaps he was the Master of the Company at that time. The Epitaph of so memorable a Citizen, being omitted in Stow, I shall set down:

Walworth's Monument set up anew Ann. 1562.

J. S.

Here under lyth a Man of Fame,
William Walworth callyd by Name,