Walbrook Ward. S. John Baptist. S. Mary Bothaw. 198

Walbrook Ward. S. John Baptist. S. Mary Bothaw.

Here also was a Parsonage House before the great Fire: but burnt down; and rebuilt by Jerome Rawstorne, upon a Lease of 40 years, commencing 1674. Ground Rent 17l. There is kept a Map or Survey of the Dimensions of the Ground.

Parsonage.

Another House was in Building some time since, for the Parson, on a Piece of Ground adjoining to the Church; on which part of the Church stood before the Fire.

A Boy named Robert Fitz Paine, 20. H. III. fell from an Horse in Walbrook Street by a Fright which Rob. de Donstable put the Horse into, on which the said Robert rode. And within a Month after he died. For this the said Robert appeared at the Tower before the Kings Justices that then sat there upon the Pleas of the Crown; and was not suspected to intend the Death of the other. Yet because he affrighted the Horse foolishly and ignorantly, it was judged an Accident: but he was committed to Goal for his Folly.]

An Accident in Walbrook.

Lower down from this Parish Church, be divers fair Houses, namely one, wherein of late Sir Richard Baker, a Knight of Kent, was lodged, and one wherein dwelled Mr.Thomas Gore, a Merchant famous for Hospitality.

Sir Rich. Baker's House.

On the West side of this Walbrook Street, over against the Stocks Market, is a part of the High Street, called the Poultry, on the Southside West, till over against S. Mildreds Church, and the Scaldingwike, is of this Ward.

The Poultry.

Then down again Walbroke Street, some small distance, is Buckles Bury, a Street so called of Buckle, that sometime was Owner thereof; Part of which Street on both sides, three or four Houses, to the Course of the Brook, is of this Ward: and so down Walbrook street to the South Corner: From whence West, downe Budge Row some small distance to an Alley, and thorough that Alley South, by the West end of S. John's Church upon Walbrook, by the South side and East end of the same, again to Walbrook Corner.

Buckles Bury.

S. John upon Walbrook.


The Parish Church of S. JOHN upon Walbrook: Or, S. JOHN BAPTIST.

 

This Parish Church is called S. John upon Walbrook, because the West end thereof is on the very Bank of Walbrook, by Horshoe Bridge, a Bridge over the Brook in Horsebridge Lane.

Horshooe Bridge in Horshooe-Bridgestreet.

This Church was also lately new builded: For about the Year 1412, licence was granted by the Maior and Commonalty, to the Parson and Parish, for the enlarging thereof, with a Piece of Ground on the North Part of the Quire, one and twenty Foot in length, seventeen Foot in breadth, and three Inches; and on the South side of the Quire, one Foot of the common Soil.

This Church was rebuilt and beautified in the Year 1621.

Rebuilt.

R.

Robert Peterson, Rector.
Churchwardens.
Roger Price,
John Smith,


MONUMENTS.

 

There be no Monuments in this Church of any account, only these:

Monuments.

William Combarton, Skinner, who gave Lands to that Church, was buried 1410.

John Stone, Taylor, one of the Sheriffs 1464, was likewise buried there.

This Church burnt down by the great Fire, was not rebuilt, but remains now a Burying Place.

J. S.

No Parsonage House, or Scite of a Parsonage House; nor any Garden belonging to the Parson, as it was given in at the Parochial Visitation, 1693. Yet in the Parochial Visitation 1636, there was a Parsonage House.]

Parsonage.


The Parish Church of S. MARY BOTHAW.

 

On the South side of Walbrook Ward, from Candlewick street, in the midway betwixt London Stone and Walbrook Corner, is a little Lane with a Turnpike in the midst thereof, and in the same a proper Parish Church, called S. Mary Bothaw, or Boat-haw, by the Erbar. This Church being near unto Downegate, on the River of Thames, hath the Addition of Bothaw, or Boat-haw, of near adjoining to an Haw, or Yard, wherein (of old time) Boats were made, and landed from Downegate to be mended, as may be supposed: For other Reason I find none why it should be so called.

St. Mary Bothaw.

This seems of old to be called also S. Mary de Bothache. Near which Church on the North was certain Land and a Stone House, and other Houses, belonging to the Priory of Christ Church Canterbury. The Prior Wibert (about An. 1167) and the Convent granted to Ernis and his Heirs, the Premises; paying 10s. yearly, and giving on S. John Baptists Day, a Towel [Manutergium] worth 8d. to the Keeper of his House [Hostellario nostro] and two Pitchers, worth six Pieces of Money, [duo Baccilia valentia nummos sex] and a Saltseller worth four, [& salarium 4 nummos valentem.]

A Stone House belonging to the Prior of Canterbury.

J. S.

Madox Collect.

This Church was repaired and beautified at the Charge of the Parishioners in the Year 1621.

This Church repaired.

R.

      Churchwardens.
John Benet,
Tho. Dight,


MONUMENTS.

 

Within this Church and the small Cloister adjoining, divers Noblemen and Persons of Worship have been buried, as appeareth both by Arms in the Windows, the defaced Tombs, and Print of Plates torn up and carried away. There remain only of John West, Esq; buried in the Year1408.

Persons buried here.

Thomas Huntley, Esq; 1539, but his Monument is defaced.

A. M.

Lancelot Bathurst, &c.

Here lyeth the body of Lancelot Bathurst, Citizen, Grocer, and chosen Alderman of this Honourable Citie: who deceased the 27. day of September, 1594. &c.

But the most memorable Monument of all other there, was that of Henry Fitz Alwine Draper, the first Lord Maior of London that ever was, and continued, by several Elections, in the Maioralty above 24 Years. His dwelling House remaineth yet in the Parish, divided now into two or three Houses. His Monument can be proved to be in that Church, as his Arms in the Glass Windows and Gravestones do sufficiently shew. Besides, those Houses were his Gift to the Drapers, and they pay a Quit Rent in his Name yearly for ever. All which are sufficient to testify, that he was not buried in the Priory of the Holy Trinity within Aldgate (now called The Dukes Place) as formerly hath been avouched by Mr. Stow; but that there his Body resteth in undoubted Hope of a joyful Resurrection. Such as make any doubt hereof may be further satisfied in the Drapers Hall.]

The first Ld. Maior Henry Fitz Alwyn had his House in this Parish.

But all this is not Evidence enough against Stow's own Eyes: Who, living in the Times before the Dissolution of that Priory, may be presumed to have seen Fitz Alwine's Monument in that Church of the Priory, and so to have

Stow vindicated concerning Alwine's Place of Burial.

J. S.

numbred