|[St. Thomas de Acars.] Cheape Ward. ||37
the Mercer at length by force took his Dagger from him, and brake it upon his
Stranger complained to the Maior; and he, together with the Court of Aldermen,
Mercer to Ward. But the Maior and Sheriffs walking homeward through Cheape,
by a great number of Mercers Servants and others; and suffered them not to pass,
had delivered the young Man that was sent to Prison.
This Story is thus continued by another of our Historians: That this Tumult ran
Houses of divers Venetians, Lucas's and Florentines, and spoiled and rifled
them. But at
length the Maior with divers discreet and sober Citizens, having taken some of
dispersed the rest, and perswaded them to go to their Houses. But upon this a
Commission of Oyer and Terminer was issued to the Dukes of Exeter and Bucks, and
Noblemen, for Enquiry and Punishment of these Disorders. But when they were set
Guildhall, a number of light Persons in Armour came to the rescue the Prisoners
apprehended, as they were carried to their Arraignment. Which made the two
other Commissioners quickly depart for that time. Yet certain discreet Citizens
the Matter, that no Disorder followed of that Jury: And the Maior the next day
Common Council. Who appointed all the Wardens of the Companies to assemble
Companies in their Halls: and they to exhort them to keep Peace: and that if
any ready to make a Stir, or to attempt the Deliverance of such as were in
to write their Names and deliver them to the Maior. This Course appeased this
And Commissioners afterwards sat at Guildhall: where many of the Robbers were
attainted, and put to Execution; besides Fines set upon divers Merchants, for
winking at the
Hollingsh. p. 645.
Richard Malory, a rich Citizen lived in West Cheape in S. Peters Parish
(somewhat out of
this Ward.) The Messuage wherein he dwelt, having been some Religious
came into the hands of King Edward VI. Who in his second year sold it to the
Malory, for 128l. with all other Houses, Edifices, Shops, Cellars, Solars,
Gardens thereunto belonging, being of the yearly Value of 8l.] Thus much for
Street of Cheape.
Malory, a rich Citizen in Cheape.
Now let us return to the South side of Cheape Ward. From the great Conduit west
many fair and large Houses, for the most part possessed of Mercers, up to the
Cordwainers street, corruptly called Bow lane, which houses in former times were
sheds, or shops, with Sollors over them, as of late one of them remained at
end, wherein a woman sold seeds, roots and herbs; but these sheds or shops, by
incroachments on the high street, are now largely builded on both sides outward,
upward, some three, four, or five stories high.
South side of Cheape street so far as Cheape
Mercers Chappel, called S. THOMAS of Acars, or Acons.
Now of the North side of Cheape street and Ward beginning at the great Conduit,
S. Mary Cole Church, where we left. Next hereunto Westward is the Mercers
some time an Hospital, intituled of S. Thomas of Acon, or Acars, near to the
in Cheape, for a Master and Brethren Militiæ hospitalis, &c. saith the
Edward III. the 14th year. It was founded by
Thomas Fitz-Theobald de Heily, and Agnes his Wife, Sister to Thomas Becket, in
Reign of Henry II. They gave to the Master and Brethren the Lands with the
appurtenances, that sometimes were Gilbert Beckets, Father of the said Thomas,
which he was born; there to make Church. There was a Charnel, and a Chappel
over it of
S. Nicolas and S. Stephen.
Northside of Cheape Ward.
Hospital of S. Thomas of Acars.
By whom founded.
The place where Thomas Becket was born made a
From this S. Thomas anciently was a solemn Procession used by the new Maior.
afternoon of the Day he was sworn at the Exchequer met with the Aldermen here:
they repaired together to S. Pauls: and there prayed for the soul of Bishop
William at his
Tomb; who was Bishop of London in the time of William the Conqueror. Then they
to the Church-yard, to a Place where Thomas Beckets Parents lay: and there they
for all faithful Souls departed. And then they went all back to S. Thomas of of
again; and both Maior and Aldermen offered each a Penny.
L. Mayors Procession.
William Bovyndon, Magister Domus sancti Thomæ Martyris de Acon, March
Johan. Chadde Civis & Cuttelar. London, by his last Will dat. Jun. 13. 1428.
gave to John
Neet, Master of the House of S. Thomas the Martyr, of Acon, and to the Brethren
said Place, and their Successors, his Tenement in Bershaw Lane in the Parish of
de Cole Church.]
S. Thomas of Acon. Reg. Lond.
This Hospital was valued to dispend 277 pounds, three shillings, fourpence. It
surrendred the 30th of Henry VIII. the 21st of October, and was since purchased
Mercers, by means of Sir Richard Gresham, and was again set open on the Eve of
Michael, 1541. the 33th of Henry VIII. yet all was not sold by that King, that
this Fraternity. For King Edward VI. had Mills in West Ham in Essex, called S.
Milnes, being a Messuage and a Tenement with two Mills belonging to S. Thomas of
Acars. Which in that Kings first year he sold Gerard Harmond, to the yearly
Value of 6l.
S. Thomas Milnes in West Ham.
The Image of Thomas Becket, to which Popish Saint this Chappel was dedicated,
over the Gate. But in the month of January the first of Queen Elizabeths Reign,
threw it down and broke it: and set a Writing on the Church door, reflecting on
placed it there. It is now called the Mercers Chappel; and therein is kept a
School, as of old time had been accustomed, and had been commanded by
Thomas Becket's Image on Mercers Chappel.
A free School in the Hospital of S. Thomas of
There is also a Preaching in the Italian Tongue to the Italians and others on
Here be many Monuments remaining, but more have been defaced: James Butler, Earl
Ormond, and Dame Johan his Countess, the 8th of Henry VI. John Norton, Esq;
Cavendish, Draper, Maior, 1362. Thomas Cavendish, William Cavendish. The
viz. Thomas Cavendish bequeathed his Body to be laid here in these Words (by his
proved 1524.) 'I Tho. Cavendish of the Kings Exchequer, bequeath my Body to be
in the Church of S. Thomas Acres within London, in the North Isle of the Quire,
Grandfather William Cavendish.]
Thomas Canon, [or Gernon,] called Pike, one of the Sheriffs, 1410. Hungate of
Yorkshire. William Rule Civis & Pannarius, buried in the Church of S.
Martyr de Acon, Lond. this Will bore date March 1390. Wherein are these Words:
oia. illa terras & tenementa nuper Johannis Lenne in Stratford
William Rule buried in S. Thomas Acon.