Cripplegate Ward. [St. Giles Cripplegate.] 82

Cripplegate Ward. [St. Giles Cripplegate.]

On the said East side of Monks-well street, be proper Alms-houses, Twelve in number, founded by Sir Ambrose Nicholas, Salter, Maior, 1575. Wherein he placed Twelve poor and aged People Rent free; having each of them 7 Pence the Week, and once the Year, each of them five Sacks of Charcoals, and one quarter of an Hundred of Faggots, of his Gift for ever.

Alms houses in Monkes-well street.

On the North side of the way, turning towards Cripplegate; and even upon, or close to London Wall, (as it were) are certain new erected Alms-houses, six in number, of the Cost and Gift of Mr. Robert Rogers, Leatherseller: And very good Maintenance allowed, for ever, to such People as are appointed to dwell in them.]

More Almshouses hereabouts.

A. M.

They stand in Hart street; and are for six antient Couple; with a Room below, and another above, for each. The Founder, and the Qualifications of such as are admitted, will appear in the Inscription on the said House: Viz.

Rogers's Alms House.

J. S.

The Gift of Robert Rogers, Merchant Adventurer, and free of the Leathersellers Company. Who, among other good Deeds, gave 600l. to build and lay out upon these Almshouses; for the Relief of such six aged Couples, being Freemen and Free-women, as have no Charge of Children. He died in the Year 1601. Erected Anno Dom. 1612.

It is in the City Disposal: Each receive 4l. a Year.]

Then, in little Woodstreet, be seven proper Chambers in an Alley on the West side, founded for Seven poor People, therein to dwell Rent free; by Henry Barton, Skinner, Maior, 1416.

Alms-chambers in little Woodstreet.

Thus much for the Monuments of this Ward, within the Walls.

The Parish Church of St. GILES Cripplegate.


Now without the Postern of Cripplegate, First, is the Parish Church of St. Giles; a very fair and large Church, lately repaired: After that the same was burned, in the Year 1545. the 37th of Henry VIII.

St Giles without Cripplegate.

But for the later Reparations of this Church, we begin with the Year 1623. In which all the Roof over the Chancel, was on the outside repaired, and in the inside very curiously clouded.



To the further Grace and Ornament of this Chancel, there was added, in the same Year, the Cost of a very fair Table of the Commandments; and with these, the Church (then) was throughout very worthily beautified.

In the Years of our Lord God, 1624, and 1626. the two side Galleries were built very fair and spacious.

In the Year of our Lord 1629. the Steeple very much decayed, was repaired; all the four Spires (standing in the four Towers at the four Corners of it) taken down, with new and very substantial Timber Work rebuilt; and with the Lead new cast, new covered. Every one of these Spires inlarged somewhat in the compass, a great deal in height, but most, in their stately, eminent, and graceful Appearance.

In the midst of these, where there was none before (gracing, and being graced by them) was a very fair Turret erected; the Head of it (which much overpeers those Spires) covered with Lead, as also the props that support it. This, and the Spires, having every one a Cross, with very fair Vanes upon them.

The Charge of all this I could not certainly get, and would not uncertainly speak it: But the greatness of the Things speak the Cost to be great; all being the sole Charge of the Parishioners.]

This Church was again repaired, the Ground raised, new pewed, adorned and beautified; and the old Vestry taken down, and new built, An. 1704.]

J. S.



By the Mischance of the Firing of this Church, An. 1545. the Monuments of the Dead, in this Church, are very few. Notwithstanding, I have read of these following to be buried there: To wit.


Eleanor, Wife to John Writh, Esq; Daughter to Thomas Arnald, Sister and Heir to Richard Arnald, Esquire. John her Son and Heir, Margaret Writh, her Daughter; John Brigget, Thomas Ruston, Gent. John Talbot, Esq; and Katharine his Wife. Thomas Warste, and Isabel his Wife. Thomas Lucie, Gent; 1447. Raph Rochford, Kt. 1439. Edmond Watar, Esquire. Elizabeth, Wife to Richard Barnes, Sister and Heir to Richard Malgrave, Esq; of Essex. Richard Gowre, Esq; John Gowre, Esquire. Frauncis Baromi, of Milain, 1546. Sir Henry Grey, Kt. Son and Heir to George Grey, Earl of Kent, 1562. Reginald Grey, Earl of Kent. Richard Choppin, Tallow Chandler, one of the Sheriffs, 1530. John Hamber, Esq; 1573. Thomas Hawley, alias Clarenciaux, King at Arms. Thomas Busby, Cooper, who gave the Queens Head Tavern to the Relief of the Poor in the Parish, 1575. John Wahelar, Goldsmith, 1575. Richard Bolene, 1583. William Bolene, 1575. William Bolene, Physician, 1587. Robert Crowley, Vicar and Preacher there. All these Four under one old Stone in the Quire. The Learned John Fox, Writer of the Acts and Monuments of the English Church, 1587. The skilful Robert Glover, alias, Somerset Herald, 1588.

Alice, William, and John, Wife, and Sons of Thomas Clarel; and Maud, Daughter of Thomas Clarel; and Margaret his Sister.

These added in the second Edition.

J. S.

Thomas Kyngston, Agnes, Wife of Robert, Esquire.]

Agnes, Daughter to Thomas Niter, Gent. William Attewel. Felice, Daughter to Sir Thomas Gisors, and Wife to Thomas Travars. Thomas Travars. Thomas Mason, Esq;. Edmond Wartar, Esq. Joan, Wife to John Chamberlain, Esq; Daughter to Roger Lewknor, Esq; William Frere.

John Hamberger, Esq.

Hugh Moresbye, Esq.

Gilbert Prince, Alderman of London.

Oliver Chorley, Gentleman.

Sir John Writhe, or Writhesley, alias, Garter, King at Arms.

Joan *, Wife to Thomas Writhesley, Son to Sir John Writhesley, Garter, Daughter and Heir to William Hall *, Esq; at the Steps before the high Altar.



John Writhesley, the younger, Son to Sir John Writhesley, and Eleanor.

John Writhesley, Son of Thomas.

Agnes Arnold, who was first married to William Writhesley, Daughter of Richard Warmfeld.

J. S.

Barbara Hungerford, Daughter of Sir John Writhesley, Wife to Anthony Hungerford, Son of