[St. Nicolas Olave.] Queen Hith Ward. [Monuments.]211

[St. Nicolas Olave.] Queen Hith Ward. [Monuments.]

Hospital. And the rest of the Profits are given for Ornaments and Repairs of the Church.

The Houses mentioned before, were given to the Church 300 Years ago. The Writings burnt or lost; but Registers and Memorials kept of them.

Some Land there is in Suffolk, charged by Mr. Haselfoot, Citizen and Fishmonger, with the payment of 20l. per ann. for a Weekly Lecture in Thursday; and for Bread to be then distributed to the Poor.

The Parsonage House was burnt down; rebuilt by Capt. Richard Growden. Leased for 40s. per ann. for Forty Years, from Midsummer, 1676.

Parsonage.

It is to be noted, that in the Parochial Visitation, 1636. the Parsonage House was presented at 23l. per ann.]

On the North side of this Church, in the Wall thereof, was of late builded a convenient Cestern of Stone and Lead, for receit of Thames Water, conveyed in Pipes of Lead to that Place, for the ease and commodity of the Fishmnongers, and other Inhabitants, in and about Old Fishstreet.

Water Conduit, for Thames Water.

Barnard Randolph, Common Serjeant of the City of London, did (in his life time) deliver to the Company of Fishmongers, the Sum of Nine hundred l. to be imployed towards the conducting of the said Thames Water, and Cesterning the same, &c. And in the Parishes of St. Mary Magdalen, and St. Nicolas Cold Abby, near unto Fishstreet, 700l. and other 200l. to charitable Deeds. He deceased 1583. And shortly after, this Conduit, with the other, was made and finished.

Barn. Randolph, Benefactor.

In Trinity lane, on the West side thereof, is the Painter Stainers Hall; for so of old time were they called. But now that Workmanship of Staining is departed out of use in England.

Painter Stainers Hall.

Lower down in Trinity lane, on the East side thereof, was sometime a great Messuage, pertaining unto John Earl of Cornwal, in the 14th of Edward III.

Earl of Cornwal his House.

On Breadstreet hill, down to the Thames, on both sides, be divers fair Houses, inhabited by Fishmongers, Cheesemongers, and Merchants of divers Trades.

Breadstreet Hill.


The Parish Church of St. NICOLAS OLAVE.

 

On the West side whereof is the Parish Church of St. Nicolas Olave, a convenient Church.

St. Nicolas Olave.

This Church was repaired and beautified in the Year of our Lord God 1623.

Repaired.

R.

Churchwardens.
Edward Whitwel,
Alexander Colson.

The Cost of it 24l.

Since that, in the Year 1628. the South Ile, that like a Cottage before, was only Tiled, was Ceiled; and that decently and gracefully finished. Which with some Cost bestowed on the Steeple, did arise to the Sum of 22l. And this at the sole Cost of the Parish.]

This Church demolished by the great Fire, remains unbuilt; and the Parish united to St. Nicolas Cold Abby.

Unbuilt.

J. S.

No Gifts belonging to this Parish, either for Occasional Sermons or Reparations.

The Parsonage House was burnt down, but built by Will. Strong; who hath a Lease of it for Forty Years, at 20s. per ann. from 1676.]

Parsonage.


MONUMENTS.

 

This Church had the Monuments of William Newport, Fishmonger, one of the Sheriffs, 1375.

Monuments.

Richard Welles *, Parson, 1391.

*Willowes. First Edit.

Richard Sturges, Fishmonger, 1470.

Thomas Lewen, Ironmonger, one of the Sheriffs, 1537. who gave his Messuage, (with the Appurtenances) wherein he dwelt, with fourteen Tenements in the said Parish of St. Nicolas, to be had after the decease of Agnes his Wife, to the Ironmongers. And they to give Stipends, appointed to Alms-Men, in five Houses by them builded in the Churchyard of that Parish; [but now they are converted into four.] More to poor Scholars in Oxford and Cambridge, &c.

Blitheman, an excellent Organist of the Queen's Chappel, lieth buried there, with an Epitaph, 1591. &c.

Hic jacet Richardus Sturges, Civis & Piscenarius London. & Katharina uxor ejus. Qui quidem Rich. obiit 3. die mensis Julii, Anno Dom. 1470. Et prædicta Katharina obiit, &c.

An antient Tomb in the South Wall of the Quire.

A. M.

Hic jacet Dominus Henricus Welleus, quondam Rector istius Ecclesiæ. Qui obiit 4. die Maii, An. Domini 1391. Cujus animæ, &c.

A fair plated Stone under the Communion Table.

Here Blitheman lies, a worthy wight,     
who feared God above;
A Friend to all, a Foe to none,     
whom Rich and Poore did love.
Of Princes Chappell Gentleman,     
unto his dying Day;
Whom all took great delight to heare     
him on the Organs play.
Whose passing Skill in Musickes Art,     
a Scholar left behinde;
John Bull (by Name) his Masters veine     
expressing in each kinde.
But nothing here continues long,     
nor resting Place can have;
His Soule departed hence to Heaven,     
his Body here in Grave.

An engraven Plate in the North Wall of the Chancel.

He died on Whitsunday, Anno Domini 159.

Here before this Place, lieth buried the Bodie of John Widnell, Citizen and Merchant Taylor of London, sometime Master of that Company, and Deputy of this Ward. Who deceased the 15th day of Febraury, 1601. being of the Age of 70.

A small Monument in the North Wall of the Chancel.

Here lie the Bodies of Thomas Lewen, Ironmonger, and sometime Alderman of this City of London; and Agnes his Wife. Which Thomas deceased the 29th day of June, An. Domini 1555. And the said Agnes deceased the 26th day of October, An. Dom. 1562.

An antient Tomb in the North Ile of the Body of the Church.

This Monument being on the North Wall, was revived and beautified with the Church, with this Inscription hanging by it.

R.

This Monument of Thomas Lewin, and Agnes his Wife, was newly revived and beautified at the Charge of the Right Worshipful Company of the Ironmongers (whereof he was free) the 29th of May, Anno Dom. 1623.

The next is Old Fishstreet Hill, a Lane so called, which also runneth down to Thames street. In this Lane, on the East side, is the one end of Finimore, or Five Foot lane.

Old Fishstreet Hill.

On the West side of this Fishstreet Hill, is the Bishop of Hereford's Inn, or Lodging;

Bishop of Hereford's House.

an