[Monuments.] Castle Baynard Ward. [The great VVardrobe.]224

[Monuments.] Castle Baynard Ward. [The great VVardrobe.]

The 29th day of October, An. Dom. 1573. deceased Thomasine, the Wife of Thomas Butler, of Bewsen, in the County of Lancaster, Esquire, and lyeth buried before this Pillar.
Via omnis carnis: hodic mihi, cras tibi.

A fair plated ingraven Plate with Arms on a Pillar in the Chancel.

Marmoreum decus     
hoc consortis munere grato,
Non vita, verùm     
nomine, Longus habet.

Here lyeth Henry Long, of Shingay, Esquire, Sonne and Heire of Sir Richard Long, Knight, Gentleman of the Privie Chamber to King Henry the Eighth; the third Son of Sir Thomas Long, Knight, of Wiltshire. Who married Dorothie, the Daughter of Nic. Clarke, of Weston, Esquire, and Elizabeth Ramsey his Wife; sole Heire of Thomas Ramsey, of Hicham, Esquire, her Father. By whom hee had issue one Sonne and three Daughters. Hee dyed the 15th day of April, An. Dom. 1573. leaving alive at that time of his death, Elizabeth, his sole Daughter and Heire.

A comely Monument in the East end of the Chancel.

Dorothæa uxor, conjugis amore posuit.

Nomine Longus, vita     
brevis, inclitus ortu,
Ingenio præstans,     
& pietatis amans.

Nere to this Place lyeth interred the Corps of William Nicholson, sometime of Walton, in the County of Bucks, Gent. Citizen and Draper of London. He had to Wife Joane, the eldest Daughter, and one of the Heires of William Company, Gent. By whom he had issue (among divers other) these which survived; namely, Helen, first the Wife of John Minor, of London, Draper; and afterward of Sir John Branch, Knight, Lord Maior of London, An. Dom. 1580. And Benjamin, who deceased at Bramley in the County of Surrey; where he hath also left issue two Sons, Robert and George. The said William Nicholson departed this life in September, Anno Dom. 1531. Being a Benefactor to this Church, and to other charitable Uses; whose Soule (we doubt not) resteth with the Lord.

Qui genere atq; opibus     
quondam florebat honestis,
Nicholson, jacet hac     
parvus in æde civis.
Quod mortale fuit     
fluxit: Sed fata perennis
Mensq; manet; nihil     
hic funera juris habent.
Spiritus in C┼ôlis     
divino spendet honore,
In terris memori     
nomen amore viget.

When God was pleas'd     
(the World unwilling yet)
Helias James to Nature     
paid his Debt;
And here reposes.     
As he liv'd, he dy'd:
The Saying strongly     
in him verify'd.
Such Life, such Death:     
Then a known Truth to tell;
He liv'd a godly Life,     
and dy'd as well.

South Ile, at the lower end of the Church.

R.


BENEFACTORS.

 

The Charities and Bequests belonging to this Parish of St. Andrew Wardrobe, are these.

Charities to Church and Poor.

John Lee gave for Reparation of the Church, an House and Wharf in Thames street, leased out for 30l. per ann. Also a small House in Flower de Luse Lane, within the same Parish; wherein several of their Pensioners dwell.

J. S.

A Gift of Justice Roundal, paid by the Company of Embroiderers; being 3l. 10s. per Ann.

A Gift of Mr. Corbet, being 10s. per Ann. paid by the Company of Cooks of London.

Margaret Dane gave 5s. per ann. paid by the Ironmongers.

Mrs. Paradine 3l. per ann. from the Company of Haberdashers.

Mr.Cleve. Thirteen Penny Loaves, to be distributed every Sunday to so many poor People.

All Registred in the Parish Books.

Before the great Fire, there was a Parsonage House, situate on the North side of the Church. The Ground now leased out for 50s. per ann.

Pa sonage.

Two other Houses there be, part of the same Glebe, leased out for Forty Years, for 40s. per ann. There is about eighteen Years to come; together with other Leases

Then is the King's great Wardrobe. [I have not read by whom the same was builded, neither when, or for what Cause; but only that] Sir John Beauchamp, Knight of the Garter, Constable of Dover, Warden of the Cinque Ports, Son to Guido de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, builded this House, was lodged there; this House then bearing the Name of the King's Wardrobe, in the 5th of Edw. III. The said Sir John Beauchamp deceased in the Year 1359. and was buried on the South side of the middle Ile of Pauls Church. His Executors sold the House to King Edward III. unto whom the Parson of St. Andrews complaining, that the said Beauchamp had pulled down divers Houses, in their places to build the same House, whereby he was hindred of his accustomed Tithes, paid by the Tenants of old time; granted him 40s. by the Year out of that House, for ever. King Richard III. was lodged there in the 2d of his Reign.

The King's great Wardrobe.

First Edit.

In this House, of late Years, was lodged Sir John Fortescue, Kt. Master of the Wardrobe, Chancellor and under Treasurer of the Exchequer, and one of her Majesty's Privy Councel. The secret Letters and Writings, touching the Estate of the Realm, were wont to be inrolled in the King's Wardrobe, and not in the Chancery, as appeareth by the Records. Claus. 18. E. 4 1 Memb. 13. Claus. 33. E. 1. Memb. 3 Et liberat. 1. E. 2. Memb. 4. &c.

Writings of State antiently kept here.

From this Wardrobe, by the West end of Carter lane, then up Creed lane, Ave Mary lane, and a piece of Pater noster Row, up Warwick lane, all the East side, to the Brewhouse called the Crown, as I said, is of this Ward.

Touching Lanes ascending out of Thames street, to Knightriders street, the first is Peters Hill; wherein I find no matter of Note, more than certain Alms Houses, lately founded on the West side thereof, by David Smith Embroiderer, for six poor Widdows; whereof each to have 20s. by the Year.

Peters Hill lane.

Alms Houses for six poor Widows.

On the East side of this Lane, standeth a large House of antient Building, sometime belonging to the Abbot of St. Mary in York, and

The House of the Abbot of St. Maries of York.

was