[The Temple Church Faringdon Ward without. Monuments.]272

[The Temple Church Faringdon Ward without. Monuments.]

Over the Portico, in Pump Court, is an Inscription in Memory of a Fire that happened there some Years ago. Viz.

Vetustissima Templariorum Porticu igne consumpta Anno 1678. Nova hæc sumptibus MEDII TEMPLI extructa Anno 1681. Gulielmo Whitlock, Armig. Thesaurario.

Over the new Building or Reparation of that round Part of the Temple Church, entring on the West, is ths Memorial set.

Vetustate consumptum, Impensis utriúsq; Societatis restitutum Anno MDCXCV.


Nico. Courtney,
Rogero Gillingham,
}
} Thesaurariis.]

This Temple Church hath a Master, and had (in Stow's time) four Stipendiary Priests, with a Clerk. These, for the Ministration of Divine Service there, had Stipends allowed unto them out of the Possessions and Revenues of the late Hospital and House of St. Johns of Jherusalem, in England; as it had been in the Reign of Edward VI.

Orders for Divine Service in the Temple.

The Front of Stone, and South West Entrance into the Temple Church, being very antient, and by Time decayed, it was of late substantially renewed and repaired. But a very antique Inscription over the little Door, next to the Cloister, which was hardly to be read before, is now gone; being broken by the Workmen in the Year 1695. It was in old Saxon Capital Letters, ingraved within an half Circle; denoting the Year when the Church was dedicated, and by whom; namely, Heraclius the Patriarch of the Church of the Holy Resurrection in Jherusalem. And to whom, namely the Blessed Virgin. And the Indulgence of Sixty Days Pardon to such, who according to the Penance enjoined them, resorted thither yearly. But happily preserved, and exactly transcribed by Mr. G. Holmes: Viz.

The Inscription upon the Door of the Temple Church.

J. S.

[ Click here to view The Old Inscription, as it stood upon the Temple Church, over the Door in the Cloister.   The Old Inscription, as it stood upon the Temple Church, over the Door in the Cloister. ]

Taken by Mr. George Holmes.

Since the Dissolution of the Hospitalers, in the time of Henry VIII. there hath been a Divine, by the Name of a Master or Custos, belonging to this Church. Who is constituted by the King or Queen's Letters Patents, without Institution or Induction.

A Master belonging to the Temple.

J. S.

Besides the Master, there is a Reader, who readeth Divine Service twice a day, at Eight a Clock in the Morning, and at Four in the Afternoon. Formerly, they had also a fixed Lecturer for Sundays in the Afternoon. Who had the Allowance of 80l. per Ann. paid from each House; and convenient Lodging; and his Diet at the Benchers Table. But of late, the Lecture is carried on by various Preachers, appointed and paid by the Treasurers of the two Houses.

A Reader.

The Lecture.

Now as for the Monuments in the Temple Church.


MONUMENTS.

 

Sir Nicolas Hare, Master of the Rolls, was buried there in the Year 1557.

Monuments.

Here lieth the Body of Anne Littleton, Wife of Edward Littleton, of the Inner Temple, Esq; Son and Heire of Sir Edward Littleton, of Henly, in the County of Salop, Kt. Daughter of John Littleton, of Frankly, in the County of Worcester, Esquire, by Meriel, the Daughter of Sir Thomas Bromley, Kt. Lord Chancellor of England. She dyed the 6th day of February, 1623.

R.

On whom was made this Epitaph.

Here she lies, whose spotless Fame
Invites a Stone to learn her Name.
The rigid Spartan that deny'd
An Epitaph to all that dy'd,

Unless