Suburbs without Bishopsgate. St. Leonard Shoreditch. 50

Suburbs without Bishopsgate. St. Leonard Shoreditch.

of any Care to be taken in their Poverty. They maintain a Schoolmaster allowing him 30l. per Ann. who teacheth the Children Reading and Writing, and to say their Catechism. They are in Number threescore and ten, and are clothed as well as taught. The voluntary Subscriptions upon the Death of the first Subscribers began some Years ago to fall off. Mr. Turner then was the chief Person that took the Care and Charge thereof. They send out twelve or more every Year: and so take in more to fill up the Number. Thence also up to the late dissolved Priory of St. John Baptist, called Halywel, a House of Nuns, of old time founded by a Bishop of London. Stephen Gravesend, Bishop of London, about the Year 1318. was a Benefactor thereunto, reedified by Sir Thomas Lovel, Knight of the Garter, brought up in Lincolns Inn, who builded much there, and in this Place, in the Reigns of Henry the Seventh, and of Henry the Eighth; He endowed this House with fair Lands, and was there buried in a large Chapel by him builded for that Purpose. [Here he had also a Seat to dwell in. He made his Will December 10th in the 14 Year of King Henry the Eighth. Therein bequeathing his Body to be buried within the Monastery of Nuns, called Haliwel, in a little Chapel there made by him. He willed his Cousin Francis Lovel should have his Mansion Place at Haliwel. He dyed 1528.] This Priory was valued, at the Suppression, to have of Lands two hundred ninety three Pound by Year, and was surrendred 1539. the one and thirtieth of Henry the Eighth. The Church thereof being pulled down, many Houses have been there builded for the Lodgings of Noblemen, of Strangers born, and other.

Mr. Turner.

Priory of St. John Baptist, at Holiwel.

Sir Thomas Lovel.

His Will.

J. S.

And near thereunto are builded two publick Houses, for the Acting and Shew of Comedies, Tragedies, and Histories for Recreation. Whereof the one is called the Courtein, the other the Theater: both standing on the Southwest side toward the Field.]

Playhouses built at Halywel.

First Edit.

From this House was carried the Corps of the Lady Rutland, Oct. 21. 1559. to Shoreditch Church, with Thirty Clarks and Priests singing: about Threescore poor Men and Women in black Gowns. Mourners, to the Number of an Hundred. Two Heralds of Arms, Garter and York. Then came the Corpse; afore a great Banner of Arms: and about Her four goodly Banner Rolls of divers Arms. Mr. Becon preached. After was dispersed a great Dole of Money, being 2d. a Piece to each. And so all departed to the Place to Dinner. About the Vallance was written, Sic transit Gloria Mundi.]

Countess of Rutland buried hence.

J. S.

From Haliwel, in the high Street, is a continual building of Tenements to Soersditch, or Sewers ditch, having * one small side of a Field already made a Garden Plot. Overagainst the North Corner of this Field, between it and the Church of St. Leonard in Soersdith, sometime stood a Cross, now a Smith's Forge, dividing three Ways: Forthright, the High Way is builded upon either side more than a good Flight Shoot towards Kingsland, Newington, Totenham, &c.

Soersditch.

*Saving first Edition.

A Cross at Shoresditch, now a Smiths Forge.

On the left Hand is Ealdestreet, [or Oldstreet] which reacheth West to a Stone Cross overagainst the North End of Golding Lane, * and so to the End of Goswel street. On the Right Hand of this Ealdestreet not far from Soersditch, but on the North side thereof, is Hoxton, a large Street with Houses on both sides, and is a Prebend belonging to Pauls Church in London, but of Soersditch Parish.

Oldstreet.

*Grubstreet First Edition.

Hoxton.

On the Right Hand beyond Soersditch Church, towards Hackney, are some late builded Houses upon the common Soil, (for it was Lay Stall,) but these Houses belong to the Parish of Stebinhith.

Soersditch towards Hackney.

On the other side of the High Way, from Bishopsgate and Houndsditch, the first Building is a large Inn, [called the Dolphin) for Receipt of Travellers; Then a fair House builded by the Lord John Powlet. Next to that a large House with Gardens of Pleasure, builded by Jasper Fisher. From this up to the West End of Berwards Lane, * is a continual Building of small Cottages. Then was the Hospital called St. Mary Spittle, hard within the Bars, whereof I have spoken in Bishopsgate Ward.

* Hog Lane, First Edition.

From the which Bars towards Soersditch [on that side] is all along, a continual Building of small and base Tenements, for the most Part lately erected.

Soersditch so called more than 400. Years since, as I can prove by Record.

Amongst the which (I mean of the ancientest Building) was one Row of proper small Houses with Gardens for poor decayed People, there placed by the Prior of the said Hospital: Every one Tenant whereof payed one Peny rent by the Year at Christmas, and dined with the Prior on Christmas Day. But after the Suppression of the Hospital, these Houses, for Want of Reparations, in few Years were so decayed, that it was called Rotten Row, and the poor worn out (for there came no new in their Place.) The Houses for a small Portion of Money, were sold from Goddard to Russel a Draper, who new builded them, and let them out for Rent enough; taking also large Fines of the Tenants, near as much as the Houses cost him purchase and building: for he made his Bargains so hardly with all Men, that both Carpenter, Bricklayer, and Plaisterer, were by that Work undone. And yet in Honour of his Name, it is now called Russels Row.

Alms Houses in Soersditch.

Rotten Row or Russel Row.

The Manour of Soersditch with the Polehowse and Bowes (so expressed in the Record) lately belonging to John de Northampton of London, Draper, was granted 15 Richard II. to Edmund Duke of York, and Earl of Cambridge, Isabel his Wife and Edward Earl of Roteland Son of the same Edmund and Isabel.]

Manour of Soersditch.

Rec. Turr.

J. S.


The Parish Church of St. LEONARDS SHORES DITCH.

 

Now for the Parish of St. Leonards in Soresditch. The Arch-deacon of London is always Parson thereof, and the Cure is served by a Vicar.

St. Leonards at Soersditch.

The East Window hath some handsome Figures painted in the Glass, viz. Our Saviour sitting at his last Supper with his twelve Disciples; all sitting upon Forms (you must consider the Art more than the Learning of the Workman) and Judas with his Purse in his Hand, the Table furnished with a standing Cup, a Candle, a Salt, two Peny Loaves, a Knife, square Trenchers, and the Pascal Lamb in a Dish.

The East Window.

J. S.

In the Vestry hard by the Chancel, on the East Window, there is another fair painted Glass with the Figure of the Father embracing the Prodigal Son. And underneath a Signification of the Donor, and Date; in these Words inscribed, Ex dono Thomæ Austin Civis and Clothworker, London, Anno Domini 1634.

Upon a Place exalted in the Chancel is mention made of the last Reparation of the Chancel; viz. The Commandments were new writ, and this Chancel raised and repaired at the Cost of the Parish, Anno Dom. 1700.

Chancel repaired.

The Vicar hath a convenient Vicarage House on the West side of the Church.

Vicars House.


MONUMENTS.

 

In this Church have been divers honourable Persons buried, as appeareth by Monuments yet remaining. Sir John Elrington, with Margaret his Wife, Daughter and Heir to Thomas Lord Itchingham, Widow to William Blount, Son and Heir to Walter Blount, the first Lord Mountjoy; which Margaret died, 1481.

Sir