Liberties of the Dutchy. The Savoy.106

Liberties of the Dutchy. The Savoy.

West, 138 Foot, and in Breadth from North to South sixty Foot, should be vested in Thomas Archbishop of Canterbury, John Archbishop of York, Simon Lord Harcourt, Lord Chancellor, &c. appointed by Letters Patents, dated the 27th of September 1712. to be Commissioners to execute the Powers in the Act 9 Regin. ANNÆ, for building fifty new Churches, and in their Heirs and Assigns for ever; such new Church after it is erected and finished, shall be deemed one of the fifty Churches to be built.

A strait Way and Passage on the North side, leading East and West to be twenty Foot broad between the said Church and the Houses. Another Street Way at the East End of the Church, of the same Breadth. And to be left fifty Foot for the high Street between the Church and the Houses at the East End on the South side. And at the middle Part of the Church to the Buildings now standing 45 Foot. And at the West End of the Church to the said Buildings 38 Foot from the High Street.

The which Church being now built, the aforesaid memorable Maypole, reckoned somewhat incommodious standing near on the West thereof, was bought by Sir Isaac Newton, Kt. the great Mathematician. And April, 1718. carried away upon a Carriage through London unto Wansted, to the Rector, Mr. Pound, who obtained Leave of Sir Richard Child, Bar. (now Lord Castlemain) to set it up in his Park at Wansted House, in a Place of Advantage, for the better Use of a fine Telescope to be raised on it: which is 125 Foot long: and was given to the Royal Society by Monsieur Hugon, a Member thereof, as was mentioned before.]

The Maypole removed.


THE SAVOY.

 

Then next is the Savoy, so called of Peter, Earl of Savoy and Richmond, Son to Thomas, Earl of Savoy, Brother to Boniface, Archbishop of Canterbury, and Uncle unto Heleanor, Wife to King Henry the Third.

Savoy House first builded by Peter, Earl of Savoy and Richmond.

He first builded this House in the Year 1245. And here is some Occasion offered me, for satisfying of some deniers thereof, to prove that this Peter of Savoy was also Earl of Savoy. Wherefore out of a Book of the Genealogies of all the whole House of Savoy, compiled by Phillebert Pingonio, Baron of Guzani, remaining in the Hands of William Smith, alias Rouge dragon, Officer of Arms, I have gathered this.

Pedigree of the House of Savoy.

Thomas Earl of Savoy, had Issue by Beatrix, Daughter to Aimon, Earl of Geneva, nine Sons and three Daughters: Amadis, his first Son, succeeded Earl of Savoy, in the Year 1253. Peter, his second Son, Earl of Savoy and of Richmond, in 1268. Philip, his third Son, Earl of Savoy and Burgundy, 1284. Thomas, the fourth, Earl of Flanders, and Prince of Piemont. Boniface, the Eighth, Archbishop of Canterbury. Beatrix his Daughter, married to Reymond Beringarius of Aragon, Earl of Province and Narbone, had Issue, and was Mother to five Queens. The first, Margaret, Wife to Lewis, King of France; the second, Eleanor, Wife to Henry the Third, King of England; the third, Sanctia, Wife to Richard, King of the Romans; the fourth, Beatrix, Wife to Charles, King of Naples; the fifth, Johanna, Wife to Philip, King of Navarre.

Thomas, Earl of Savoy, his Pedigree by Occasion.

Beatrix, Sister toPeter, Earl of Savoy, Mother to five Queens.

To return again to the House of Savoy: Queen Eleanor, Wife to King Henry the Third, purchased this Place afterwards of the Fraternity or Brethren of Mountjoy, unto whom Peter of Savoy (as it seemeth) had given it, for her Son Edmond, Earl of Lancaster, as Master Camden hath noted out of a Register Book of the Dukes of Lancaster. Henry Duke of Lancaster repaired, or rather new builded it, with the Charges of 52000. Marks, * which Money he had gathered together at the Town of Bridgerike.

Fratres de Monte Jovis, or Priory de Cornuto, by Havering at the Bower.

Henry Knighton.

*34666l. 3. 4d.

John, the French King was lodged there, in the Year, 1357. and also, in the Year, 1363. for it was (at that time) the fairest Manour in England.

In the Year, 1381. the Rebels of Kent and Essex burnt this House, unto the which there was none in the Realm to be compared in Beauty and Stateliness, (saith mine Author.) They set Fire on it round about, and made Proclamation, that none, on Pain to lose his Head, should convert to his own Use any thing that there was; but that they should break such Plate and Vessel of Gold and Silver, as was found in that House, (which was in great Plenty) into small Pieces, and throw the same into the River of Thames. Precious Stones they should bruise in Mortars, that the same might be to no Use, and so it was done by them: One of their Companions they burned in the Fire, because he minded to have reserved one goodly Piece of Plate.

The Savoy burnt.

Henry Knighton.

Rebels more malicious than covetous spoil all before them.

They found there certain Barrels of Gunpowder, which they thought had been Gold or Silver, and throwing them into the Fire, more suddenly than they thought, the Hall was blown up, the Houses destroyed, and themselves very hardly escaped away.

Liber Manuscript. French.

Barels of Gunpowder found in the Savoy.

This House being thus defaced, and almost overthrown by these Rebels, for the Malice they bare to John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, of later time came to the King's Hands, and was again raised and beautifully builded, for an Hospital of St. John Baptist, by King Henry the Seventh, about the Year 1509. For the which Hospital, retaining still the old Name of Savoy, he purchased Lands, to be imployed upon the relieving of an hundred poor People.

Savoy builded for an Hospital.

The Royal Founder by his last Will, dated April, 10. 1508. assured to this Hospital, and for Provision of two hundred Beds, and other Things for the Chapel there; five hundred Mark Land. And for building and finishing the said Chapel and Hospital were delivered to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, The thousand Marks in Money.]

The Expence.

J. S.

This Hospital being valued to dispend 529l. 15s. &c. by Year, was suppressed the tenth of June, the seventh of Edward the Sixth; the Beds, Bedding, and other Furniture belonging thereunto, with seven Hundred Marks of the said Lands by Year, he gave to the Citizens of London, with his House of Bridewel, to the furnishing thereof, to be a Workhouse for the Poor and idle Persons, and towards the furnishing of the Hospital of St. Thomas in Southwark, lately suppressed.

Hospital of Savoy, suppressed.

Before this Hospital was suppressed in the fifth of King Edward the Sixth, a Visitation of it was appointed by a Commission to Sir Roger Cholmely, Kt. Chief Baron of the Exchequer, and several otbers his Collegues; and Inquiry to be made by them upon five Articles.

Savoy Hospital visited, 5. Edward 6.

J. S.

The first Article was, to inquire and search by all good Ways ahd Means, how and in what sort the Foundation, Statutes and Ordinances of the said Hospital have been, and be observed.

Account of that Visitation.

The Answer was, that they had been kept and observed since the Death of the first Master; except in such Points of the Foundation and Statutes as were not agreeable with the King's Laws and most godly Proceedings; as Mass Service, Prayer for the Dead, Anniversaries, and such like, which had been omitted: and the Order set forth by his

Majesty