Liberties of the Dutchy. The Savoy.107

Liberties of the Dutchy. The Savoy.

Majesty observed. The Statutes and Ordinances for Apparel, Diet, and for certain Treasure, to be continued and kept for good Purposes in the same Statutes mentioned, have not, nor be observed: that is to say, Apparel for the Superstition thereof taken away by Visitation, and used according to the Appointment of the Visitors; their Diet being appointed and allowed for every of the Chaplains, but after the rate of twenty Shillings the Week, they strained by Dearth, have been allowed of the Revenues of the House more largely. The Treasure appointed by Foundation and Statutes of the House, was by the first Master consumed clearly; and so nothing remaineth thereof.

The second Article was, wherein the same did agree with the common Orders and Proceedings of the Realm, in Causes of Religion.

The Answer. The Foundation Statutes and Ordinances do agree with the King's Majesty's Proceedings, except in such things as were before declared.

The third and fourth Articles were, How the Ministers, both Men and Women gave Attendance, and did their Duties in their several Offices and Vocations. And of the Life, Behaviour and Conversations of the Ministers aforesaid.

The Answer. It appeareth unto us by all such Scrutiny and Search as we could make, that there is no Default, nor yet Disorder concerning any thing in the Articles aforesaid.

The fifth and last Article was of the State of the House, and Order of the Lands.

The Answer was, That that appeared by a Scedule annexed, made by the Auditor of the same House.]

This Hospital of Savoy was again new founded, erected, corporated and endowed with Lands by Queen Mary, the third of November; in the fourth of her Reign, one Jackson took Possession, and was made Master thereof in the same Month of November. The Ladies of the Court, and Maidens of Honour (a thing not to be forgotten) stored the same of new with Beds, Beddings, and other Furniture, in very ample Manner, &c. and it was by Patent so confirmed at Westminster, the ninth of May, the fourth and fifth of Philip and Mary.

Hospital of Savoy, a new Foundation thereof.

In the Reign of Queen Elizabeth, this Hospital continued. Then Thomas Thurland was Master and the four Chaplains were John Park, John Hodgeson, William Neel and Thomas Chambers. The foresaid Master embezelled the Revenues exceedingly, made many Leases and Sales privately without the Knowledge and Consent of the Chaplains. He sold away divers Chantries (settled perhaps by Queen Mary upon the Hospital) to the Sum of 53l. per Annum. Insomuch that a Visitation of this Hospital was made about the Year 1570. Grindal, Bishop of London, was one of the Visitors, who took great Care about it. And at length he was deprived. See more of this Hospital in the first Book.]

Thurland Master of the Savoy, deprived.

J. S.

This Parish is called St. Mary Le Strand, alias Savoy. It is distinguished into the Precinct of the Savoy, who choose two Chapel Wardens, and have Vestry Men; and the Parish of St. Mary Le Strand, which have their distinct Churchwardens and Vestry Men also. The Precinct is peculiarly under the Government of the Master of the Savoy, and the Chapel belonging to the Precinct is called the Chapel of St. John Baptist in the Precinct of the Savoy; which is made use of for the Parish Church.

The Precinct of the Savoy, and the Parish distinct.

J. S.

Dr. Henry Killigrew, Master of the Savoy, about the Year 1665. made this Order in Pursuance of an Agreement between him, the Master of the Hospital, and the Churchwardens and Overseers, and other Officers of the Parish: That the Col- lectors for the Poor of the Precinct should gather the charitable Benevolence of the Congregations assembled in the Chapel belonging to the Savoy, for three Months, viz. March, April and May; and from and at the Expiration of those three Months, he permitted the Collectors for the Poor of the Parish of St. Mary Le Strand, to gather and receive the Charities of the Congregations there; that is, for the other nine Months, for and towards the Relief of their Poor. He further in a Writing under his Hand, dated March, 2. 1666. authorized and empowered the Collectors of the Poor of the Precinct, to gather, receive and take of the Congregations assembled there for the three Months of June, July and August in that present Year 1666. and the three Months of March, April and May, the next succeeding Year; and so successively from time to time: and the Money collected to be employed to the Use of the Poor of the said Precinct. And he empowered and authorized them further, not to permit any Briefs or other thing whatsoever, that should tend to stir up the People there to be assembled, to bestow their Charity towards the Relief of any Distressed therein mentioned, upon any Sunday, Holyday, Thanksgiving, or Fast Day, during the Continuance of the said three Months, unless Liberty be first obtained from him the Master. This Order was signed by Dr. Killigrew's Hand, and hung up in a Table in the Vestry.

Master of the Savoy's Order for the Precinct.

This Savoy House is a very great and at this present a very ruinous Building. In the midst of of its Buildings, is a very spacious Hall, the Walls three Foot broad at least, of Stone without, and Brick and Stone inward. The Ceiling is very curiously built with Wood, and having Knobs in due Places hanging down, and Images of Angels holding before their Breasts Coats of Arms, but hardly discoverable. On one is a cross Gules between four Stars, or else Mullets. It is covered with Lead, but in divers Places perished, where it lies open to the Weather. This large Hall is now divided into several Apartments. A Cooper hath a Part of it for the stowing of his Hoops, and for his Work. Other Parts of it serve for two Marshalseas for keeping Prisoners, as Deserters, Men prest for military Service, Dutch Recruits, &c. Towards the East End of this Hall is a fair Cupolo with Glass Windows, but all broken, which makes it probable the Hall was long again; since Cupoloes are wont to be built about the middle of great Halls.

Savoy Buildings.

In this Savoy, how ruinous soever is, are divers good Houses. First, the King's Printing Press for Proclamations, Acts of Parliaments, Gazets, and such like publick Papers; Next, a Prison. Thirdly, a Parish Church, and three or four other Churches and Places for Religious Assemblies; viz. For the French, for Dutch, for High Germans, and Lutherans, and Lastly, for the Protestant Dissenters. Here be also Harbours for many Refugees, and poor People.

In the Year 1687. Schools were set up and ordained here at the Savoy: The Masters whereof were Jesuits. Rules were provided for these Schools, and published in print. It was declared therein, that the Intention of them was to teach Youth, Vertue and Learning: That those that came thither should be taught gratis, and to be at no further Charge than in buying of their own Pen, Ink, Paper and Books: That these Schools should be common to all of what Condition soever, and none to be excluded, when they should be thought fit to begin to learn Latin, and writ sufficiently well. In these Schools, to be taught Greek and Latin, Poetry and Rhetorick. And whether Catholicks or Protestants came to these Schools, yet in Teaching no Distinction to be made, but all to be taught with equal Diligence and Care: And

Popish Schools in the Savoy set up, 1687.

Rules.

neither