Monuments. The Parish of St. Clement Danes.114

Monuments. The Parish of St. Clement Danes.

Viro præclarissimo, animi Corporisque
dotibus ornato.

Qui in Anglicani juris studio f┼ôlicissimè versatus Jurisconsulti munere, quod jure optimo obtinuit, intermisso, officiis in Curia Cancellariæ, cum Examinatoris, per integros 17 annos, tum sex Clericorum unius, per menses quosdam fatales, integerrimè perfunctus est; vitâ Londini in hoc vico (ubi & natus) majori ex parte transactâ, die Apr. 26 Ann. Dom. 1610. Ætatis 51. defuncto, scil. Animá Christo, Corpore hic humo traditis, relictoque sui desiderio, non sine multis multorum lachrymis.

Maria ipsi superstes vidua,

Thomæ Oneli Filia, de Charleton, in Northantoniensi quondam agro Armigeri, fidissima Conjux charissimo Marito, Quicum ad annos ferè 25 conjunctissimè vixerat, Amoris inviolati perpetuum posteris testimonium, nec sibi minus lugubre, hoe posuit Monumentum.

A very fair Monument near unto the other, with this Inscription.

Memoriæ Sacrum.

Here lieth the Body of Hippocrates de Otthen, nobly descended from the noble Family of the Otthens, out of Holsatia, Doctor of Physick in the University of Mountpelliers, in France, and most worthily incorporated in the University of Oxford. After his first coming into England with his Father (who was the Emperor's Physician, and sent for over by Queen Elizabeth) he was desired by the Earl of Leicester himself, to pertain unto him, in whose Service (for many Years, both at home and abroad in the Low Countries, with his Lord) he performed such worthy Parts, as well in his own Faculty, as being imployed in other laudable Services, that her Majesty and the State took especial Note of his Worth. After the Decease of the Earl, he was in the same Esteem and Regard with the Earl of Essex, and by her Majesty commanded to attend upon him in the Wars of France, and afterwards in his prosperous Voyage to Cadiz. Returning home (hoping to retire to his own Practise, and a more private Life) he was again commanded to go (as Physician in Service into Ireland) with the Lord Montjoy (afterwards Earl of Devonshire) her Majesty's Lieutenant in that Kingdom. But returning again into England with his Lord, in the beginning of his Majesty's Reign, he continued not long, but went as Physician with the Earl of Hartford, his Majesty's Ambassador unto the Arch-Duke of Austria and Burgundy, in that honourable Imployment: And so returning again into England, he spent the Residue of his Years with his dear and most vertuous Wife, Mistress Dorothy Drew, Daughter to Master Roger Drew of Densworth in Sussex, Esq; in great Bliss and Happiness: And being a most zealous and penitent Christian, full of Years, and (unto his last Gasp) of perfect Memory, he ended his Pilgrimage here on Earth; and with Alacrity of Spirit surrendred his Soul into the Hands of his Creator, the 13 of November, 1611. For whose Love and Memory, his late Wife (the now Lady and Wife unto Sir Stephen Thornhurst of Kent, (the most worthy and valorous Knight) hath caused this Monument to be erected, Amoris ergo P.P.

Next to this another handsome small Monument, with this Inscription.

Anne, the Daughter of Francis Cary, Wife of Hugh Prust of Devon, seventeen Years, aged forty, having by him nine Children, was buried here the 13 of February, 1627.

In Life and Death,
most strict in right accord,
She liv'd, she dy'd
true Servant of the Lord.

A fair Monument on the South side of the Chancet with this Inscription.

By the Churchwardens and Feoffees of this Parish, this Monument was set up, the 20 of January, 1603.

Here lieth buried the Bodies of Richard Bedoe, Gent. and Anne his first Wife, one of the ancientest of this Parish, and a Feofee of the Poor, who ended his Life with a charitable Disposition, the first Day of September 1603. Annoque Regni Regis Jacobi, &c. primo. Being, when he died, of the Age of fifty six Years, and was born in the Parish of Ricken, in Salop. Who of their Charity have given so many of their Tenements within the Dukes Place in Cree Church, alias Christs Church, near Algate, London, as do now go for 20l. per annum, to the Maintenance and Use of the Poor of this Parish for ever. And also 110l. to be lent gratis to fifty poor Housholders, and young Beginners of the same Parish, for two Years a piece, putting in good Security for the same: With Condition, that this Stone, by the Churchwardens and Feofees of the same Parish for the time being, shall from time to time for ever be maintained; and four Sermons Yearly for ever to be made, on the Feast Days of All Saints, the Purification of our Lady, the Ascension of our Lord God, and St. John Baptist, to remember and give God thanks for the Givers thereof. God increase Charity unfeigned.

Margaret Bedoe, last Wife of Richard Bedoe, gave by her last Will, in the Year 1633. the Sum of twenty Pounds, to be added to her Husband's Gift of a hundred Pounds: And so to be imployed and disposed of, as her Husband's now is, the Preacher four times a Year, mentioning her Gift with his, according to her Will, or else her Gift to be void.

A very fair Monument on the North side of the Chancel, with this Inscription.

M.S.

Nobilissimo juveni Wolfgango Balthasari a Crailsheim, ex antiqua & clara Familia in Franconia, cum in sereniss. Frederici V. Electoris Palatini Comitatu huc in Angliam profectus, & morbo correptus, piè diem obiisset 29 Jan. anni 1612. Hoc Monumentum positum fuit.

A fair Monument at the upper end of the South Ile, with this Inscription.

Unto the Memory of

Richard Jacob, late Vintener, deceased, who after sixty six Years of his Life, whereof he spent more than half in this Parish, wherein he had with good Credit passed through all Offices, both in the Parish, as also in his Company, and for his Fidelity was elected one of the Governours of Bridewel, and likewise done many charitable Acts, both to the Parish, to his Hall, to the Hospital of Bridewel, Christ's Church, St. Bartholomews, and St. Thomas in Southwark, to divers Persons in London, and Southwark, and many other Places, comfortably gave up his Soul to his Redeemer, the 13 of October, 1612.

Sibil his mournful Wife, hath caused this Monument to be erected.

On