The Parish of St. Clement Danes. Bounds.116

The Parish of St. Clement Danes. Bounds.

Doctor in Arte fuit,
Non Ipocrate minor erat
hic, non Peone, Doctor,
Non opifex mirum
vincis, Apollo, virum.
M.D. deme ter X. semel V.
Christi cadit Anno,
Cui vitam Medicus
det sine sine Deus.

A handsome Monument on the Wall, in the South Ile with this Inscription.

Here by lieth buried the Body of Edward Price, Gentleman, and of Edward, his only Son. Who for the Space of twenty four Years, lived in this Parish, wherein God so blessed him, that of his good and charitable Devotion, he hath given three Pounds a Year for ever out of his free Land, called the Blue Lyon in the said Parish, to be bestowed in Sea Coals, and to be distributed freely to the Poor by the Churchwardens. And also twenty Pounds for ever to be lent to two poor young Housholders gratis, from two Years to two Years, ten Pounds apiece.

He departed this Life the 8 of March, 1605.

On the same Tomb, under that above, is this written.

This Tomb was erected at the Charge of Elizabeth, the Wife of Henry Baten, Esq; one of his Majesty's Sergeants at Arms, and late Wife of Edward Price, deceased. Who of her goodly Disposition, hath given twenty Shillings a Year for ever to the Preacher of this Parish, to be paid out of her House called the Three Cups next adjoining on the West side of the same Blue Lyon, only that he shall make recital hereof at two several Sermons Yearly; one on the Sunday before Christmas Day, and the other on the Sunday before Midsummer Day. And the said Elizabeth also, of her Godly Love and Zeal to the Church, hath given a Flagon Pot, Silver and Gilt, weighing thirty eight Ounces and a half, for the service of the Communion Table, to remain for ever; and three Pounds to the Poor, to be distributed at her Funeral, and five Pounds to the Poor of Kniton in Derbyshire, where she was born. She departed the 10 of November, 1616.

A very fair Glass Table, hanging on a Pillar in the South Ile, in which there is the Figure of a Gentlewoman all in black, with a gilt Book in her Hand, laid as upon her Tomb: over her Head an Angel, over her, at the Feet, Death with a Dart and Hour Glass.

Over her, adjoining to a very fair Coat, encompast with a Laurel Wreath, these Words.

Filius Ararhnes Cyllenii, Factor Paterque Tonaquillæ.

Under her.

Memoriæ Sacrum.

Katherinæ Bridges, (Filiæ & Heredis Roberti Essington Generosi, unius olim Guardianorum pontis London.) Triplici jugo junctæ: Primò Thomæ Gwyn de London, Generoso, filio secundo Gulielmi Vaughan, de Berain in Com. Denbigh, Armigeri, & Margaretæ Gwyn, Uxoris ejus, defunctorum. Cui unicum FÅ“tum edidit, nimirum Edwardum Gwyn, adhuc vitales carpentem Auras. Secundo Gulielmo Forset Armigero: Postremo Gulielmo Bridges, interioris Templi London Armigero: Vitæ sua virtute clara, omnibusqe naturæ dotibus eximiè prædita. Cui (post laudabilis vitæ stadium, nitentemque in aulam migrationem) E.G. defunctæ proles, officiosa Pietate (ut decet) Novissimum hoc Parentale Munusculum exolvit.

Obiit 16 Maii, Anno a partu Virginis salutifero, 1598. Annoque Ætatis suæ 45.

On the South side of the Communion Table is a small Monument for Dr. Duxon, formerly Rector of this Church. But placed at such an Height that the Inscription is out of Sight.

Modern Monuments.

J. S.

On the opposite, that is, the North side, is another Inscription; but placed so high as not to read. Only there is the Anchor; which is the Arms of the Parish: and Glory be to God, visible; so that it seems to be a Memorial of some charitable Benefactor.

On a Pillar in the Body of the Church is a Monument for one Tatham, Surgeon.

Divers flat Stones laid over Persons deceased.

Under the Belfrey are two ordinary Stones:

One for Walter Bowyer, Pewterer; and Walter and Charles, his Sons, and Anne, his Wife. He departed 1691.

The other for Elizabeth, Daughter of Charles Alcock, of Clonmel in Ireland, 1699.

Upon a Brass Plate fixt to a Pavement in the middle Ile an Inscription for Elizabeth, Wife of Thomas Brown died 25 October 1705. aged 23.

If Youth and Vertue could not save
A vertuous Woman from the Grave, &c.

Another Brass Plate in the same Ile, for Herbert Williamson. April 25. 1709. Ætat. 64.

Upon another Brass Plate fixt to the Pavement in the Chancel, Catharina, Uxor Richardi Holden, hic jacet. Obiit 2do die Martii, 1710/11.]

This Parish of St. Clement Danes is large, well built and inhabited, by many Persons both of the Nobility and Gentry, as well as rich Tradesmen: Where also many Noblemens Seats stood, as Essex House, Arundel House, &c. tho' now pulled down, and improved in Rents, by building them into fair Courts and Squares.

R. B.

To give the Girt Line, or present Bounds of this Parish, I must in abundance of Places run through, or cross Houses, nay long Piles of Buildings, as doth appear by the Map of the Parish. I shall begin at the West End of Portugal Row in Lincolns Inn Fields, where the Parish Stone Mark is set up; and from thence it runs cross the backsides of the Houses in Portugal Row, taking in the Playhouse, and the Stablings into the new Court in Lincolns Inn almost to the Pump placed at the Pallisado Pales by the Garden; and from thence streight cross the Court and the row of new Buildings into Shear Lane, and down the same to the Gate by Temple Bar; taking in all the West side thereof. Then it runs from Temple Bar, cross to the Cock Alehouse on the other side of the Way, and so to the River Thames; taking in all the Buildings, except the Temple: which the Templers and Baristers claim a Jurisdiction unto. So that it passes from the Cock Alehouse in the Street side, unto all the Buildings to the Palsgraves Head Court, which it takes in, and so down into Devereux Court, with all Essex Buildings on both sides to the River Thames; then along the Banks of the River from Essex Stairs unto Strand Bridge; and there it turns Northwards taking in the East side, with part of the West side, at the upper end: where it joins to the Garden Wall of Somerset House. Which Buildings it crosses, and so up to Three Helmet Court over against the May Pole in the Strand, and there it crosseth the High Street to the Stone

Its Bounds, or Girt Line.

Cutters