The TEMPORAL GOVERNMENT. [Fishmongers.]182


John Norman, Maior 1454. Buried at Alhallows in Honylane near the Standard in Cheapside.

Thomas Scot, Maior, 1459.

Sir Thomas Cook, Knight of the Bath, Maior 1463. Buried at the Augustin Friers. But the Stones of his Tomb were An. 1605, to be sold at a Mason's House in Coleman-street. Of him descended Sir Anthony Cook, of Guiddy-hall in Essex.

Sir Rafe Josselyn, Maior 1465, and 1477. Buried at St. Swithen's by London-stone. Of him descended the Josselyns of Josselyn Hall in Essex.

Sir Robert Drope, Maior 1475. Buried at St. Michael's in Cornhill, Anno 1485.

Sir Bartholomew James, Maior 1480. Buried at St. Dunstan's in the East under a fair and stately Tomb, on the South side of the Quire.

Sir William Hariot, Maior 1482. Buried at St. Dunstan's in the East, in a Chappel on the North side of the Church.

Sir William Stocker, Maior 1485, in the place of Sir Thomas Hill, who died being Maior. And so did this Stocker also. And lastly, John Ward, Grocer, served out the rest of the Year.

Sir William White, Maior 1490. Buried at St. Swithen's by London-Stone.

Sir William Capel, Maior 1505. Buried at St. Bartholomew's by the Exchange, under a stately Tomb, in a new Chappel by him builded on the South of the Church. Of him the Capels of Hertfordshire are descended: Now honoured with the degree of Earls of Essex.

Sir Laurence Aylmer, Maior 1508.

Sir Roger Achely, Maior 1512. Buried at St. Christopher's by the Stocks.

Sir George Monox, Maior 1515. He repaired the Parish Church of Walthamstow in Essex, and built a new Isle there on the North; and an Hospital and Free-School in the Churchyard. He had a Country House in this Parish, called Moons. And lies buried under a fair Monument in the Chancel, on the North Side.

Sir John Bruges, Maior 1521. Buried at St. Nicolas Acon by Lombard-street. He was descended of the Bruges of Glocestershire, who now have the Title of Lord Chandois. And of him came the Bruges of West-Ham.

Sir John Milborne, Maior 1522. Buried first at the Crossed Friers. And after removed to St. Edmund's in Lombard-street. Where he lay under a Tomb of Touch, long after remaining.

Sir William Bayly, Maior 1525. Buried at Whittington College. Where his Atchievements remained long after.

Sir John Rudston, Maior 1629. Buried by the Pulpit Cross in St. Michael's Churchyard in Cornhil. Of him the Rudstons of Kent are descended.

Sir Christopher Ascough, Maior 1534. Buried at St. John Evangelist's in Watling-street.

Sir William Roch, Maior 1541. Buried at St. Peter's the Poor in Broad-street.

Sir William Bowyer, Maior 1544. In which Year he died. Buried at St. Peter's in Cornhill. Sir Rafe Warren, Mercer, served out the rest of the Year.

Sir William Chester, Maior 1561. He dwelt at the upper end of Lombard-street, over against the George, near to St. Edmund's Church; where he is buried.

Sir Richard Champion, Maior 1566. Died without Issue in 1568. Buried at St. Dunstan's in the East.

Sir Richard Pipe, Maior 1579. First a Leatherseller. He dwelt in Aldermary Churchyard. But died at Waldingwells in Nottinghamshire, where he was buried.

Sir John Branch, Maior 1581. Dwelt in St. Nicolas-lane near Candlewick-street, in the Parish of St. Mary Abchurch. In which Church he was buried.

Sir Thomas Pullison, Maior 1585. He dwelt in Budge-Row. Was Sheriff in St. Sithes-lane, and Maior, at the Conduit by Dowgate. He gave up his Cloak soon after his Maioralty. And was alive 1605.

Sir Martin Calthorp, Maior 1589. In which Year he died. Buried at St. Peters the Poor, the 16th of May. Sir Richard Martin served out the rest of the Year.

Sir Thomas Hayes,}{ 1614.
Sir John Jolles,}{ 1616.
Sir Edward Barkham,}{ 1622.
Sir Martin Lumley,}{ 1624.
Sir Allen Cotton,}{ 1626.
Sir Cuthbert Aket, or Hacket,}{ 1627.
Sir Thomas Adams,} Maior{ 1646.
Sir John Kendrick,}{ 1652.
Sir Christopher Pack}{ 1655.
Sir Joseph Shelden,}{ 1676.
Sir Robert Clayton,}{ 1680.
Sir James Smith,}{ 1685.
Sir Thomas Stamp,}{ 1692.
Sir Samuel Stainer.}{ 1714.


[ Click here to view Image of coat of arms, Fishmongers' Company   ]

THE Fishmongers were at the first, two Companies, namely Stock-fishmongers and Salt-fishmongers: [Each bearing different Coats of Arms. The Stock-fishmongers bare, Azure, two Lucies in Saltoir Argent, with Coronets over their Mouths, Or. The Salt-fishmongers bare Azure, three Cross Keys Saltoirwise, Or. On a Chief Gules three Dolphins naiant, Argent] Which Salt-fishmongers An. 1509. (which was in the beginning of King Henry VIII.) did bear their Arms as hereafter is set down, [Somewhat differently to what they bore them before; to wit, Azure, three Dolphins naiant, Argent. On a Chief Guels, three Cross Keys Saltoirwise, Or.] But lastly, in the 28th Year of the same King, Anno Dom. 1536. the said Companies were united in one: and then their Arms were more fully granted. [Which with their Supporters, Helm and Crest was, as here appeareth.]

Two Companies of Fishmongers.

J. S.


The ancient Arms, and Crest were ratifyed and confirmed, with the Grant of their Supporters, by Robert Cook, Clarencieux An. 1575. And again viewed and entred in the Visitation An. 1634. John Dyke, Augustine Garland, Isaac Pennington, and three more, Wardens of the said Company.

J. S.

Salt Wharf. A Wharf anciently so called, at Queen-Hith. Half whereof, and the House, belonged to Thomas Weston, Citizen and Fishmonger An. 1435. And given by him in his Will, to the Company of Fishmongers for ever. In usum sustentationis operum Artis præfat. infra veterem Piscariam Civitat. London singulis annis expendend' Under Condition, that the Keepers of the said Art shall hold one Obit, as well for him as for Solomon Festorp and Margaret his Wife, &c. each Year in the

Salt Warf Regist. Lond. Tho. Weston.