The City of WESTMINSTER.20

The City of WESTMINSTER.

Lord Henry Cary, Baron of Hunsdon, Governour of Berwick, and Cousin German to Queen Elizabeth, dyed 1596, aged 71.

Thomas Cary, second Son to Robert Lord Cary of Leppington, Earl of Monmouth. He was Privy-Counsellor to King Charles the First. Upon the Death of his Royal Master he suddenly fell sick and dyed.

Colonel Edward Popham.

Sir Thomas Vaughan, Kt. Treasurer to King Edward the Fourth; and before that, Chamberlain to Edward Prince of Wales.

Thomas Cecil Earl of Exeter; and

The Lady Dorothy Nevyl, Daughter and Coheir of the Lord Latymer, the said Earl's first Wife, and

The Lady Frances Bridges, his second Wife, of the Family of the Lord Chandois.

Charles Howard, a Child, Son of Charles Earl of Carlisle.

Juliana, Daughter of Sir Randolph Crew, Kt. Lord Chief Justice of England, dyed 1621.

Lady Jane Crew, one of the Daughters and Coheirs of Sir John Pulteney of Leicestershire, Kt. and Wife of Sir Clippesby Crew: She dyed 1639.

In the Chapel of St. Erasmus.

Chapel of Erasmus.

John Islip, Abbot of Westminster, mentioned before, the Founder of this Chapel. His Monument is a plain Marble Table, supported by four small Pillars of wrought Brass, and fixed to a Pedestal of the same Stone.

Sir Christopher Hatton, Knight of the Bath, and Heir to Sir Christopher Hatton, Lord High Chancellor of England. He dyed 1619. His Monument set up by his Lady Alice, Daughter of Thomas Fanshaw, Esq; the King's Remembrancer.

Lady Anne, sole Daughter and Heir of John Mowbray Duke of Norfolk, Wife to Richard Duke of York, Son to Edward the Fourth, without any Tomb or Monument.

Ascending from this Undercroft into the Oratory, is the Repository for those Effigies of the Kings and Queens and Princes of the Blood-Royal, which lay on their Cenotaphs, when their Funerals were celebrated in this Church; being here preserved in their Robes of Estate, with their Royal Habiliments, in Presses of Wainscot. These Effigies are, that of Edward the Third, Philppa his Queen; Henry the Fifth, and Katharine his Queen; Henry the Seventh, and Elizabeth his Queen; Henry Frederick Prince of Wales; Queen Elizabeth; King James, and Queen Anne his Wife.

The Presses.

In the Chapel of St. Edward the Confessor:

The Mewse for the King's Horses burned.

So called, because Edward the Confessor was translated hither from the old Church of his own Erection to this, by King Henry the Third, where he had a new Tomb and Shrine, covered with Gold built for him in the Midst of this Chapel. It is also called, The Chapel of the Kings, because many of the Kings and Queens were here interred.

The Kings, Queens, and Nobles, together with their Children that lye in this Chapel, are set down already.

In the Area out of this Chapel of St. Edward lye these:

Brian Duppa, Tutor to King Charles the Second, Dean of Christ's-Church, Bishop of Chichester, of Salisbury, and of Winchester, successively. He dyed 1662.

John Doughty, S. T. D. Prebendary of this Church. Dyed 1672.

John Winsor, Nephew to Sir William. Ob 1414.

William Amundisham, a Monk of Westminster, 1420.

Thomas Brown, a Monk of Westminster.

Robert Humprey, a Monk also of Westminster; dyed 1508.

William Cooper, belonging to the Archbishop of York.

George Wild, Esq; 1649.

In the South Area, hard by the Chapel of St. Nicolas.

Sir Thomas Ingram, Knight, Chancellor of the Dutchy of Lancaster, 1671.

Richard Tufton, Esq; 1631: This Monument erected by his Brother Sir Humfrey Tufton, Kt.

Robert Aiton, Esq; famous for his Writings, Embassies, and exemplary Charity, 1638.

On the Pavement these Grave Stones toward the West.

One upon James Cranfield, Earl of Middlesex, 1652.

One upon Lionel Cranfield Earl of Middlesex, one of the Bed-chamber to King Charles the Second, and second Son to Lionel Lord High Treasurer of England. He dyed 1674.

Anne, Countess of Middlesex, 1669.

Edmund Cranfield youngest Son to the first Lionel, 1649.

Thomas Bilson, Bishop of Winchester, and Privy-Counsellor to King James the First, 1616; a very learned Writer.

Sir John Goloffre, Kt. (before-mentioned) second Husband to Philippa, Lady Mohun, afterwards Dutchess of York.

Cecil Radclyff, chief Gentlewoman to the Lady Dudley. Many other Grave-stones are here, but uncertain to whom they belong.

Here are said also to be deposited,

Richard de Barking, Abbot of this Monastery, before taken Notice of. He was first buried in our Lady's Chapel, with a Tomb of Marble; which in the Time of William of Colchester, Abbot, was taken down, and a plain Marble Stone laid upon him; which Stone was removed, when King Henry the Seventh built the new Chapel, and placed in this Area.

Henry, eldest Son of King Henry the Eighth, an Infant, by Queen Katharine of Spain, buried at the Enterance into the Chapel of St. Edward.

Ralph Selby, LLD. 1420.

Anne Buxal, Daughter of Sir Allain Buxal, Kt. and Wife to Sir John de Beverley. She dyed 1416.

Sir John Beverley, Kt. lyes by her.

In the Chapel of St. JOHN EVANGELIST, these Monuments or Interments:

Chapel of St. Jo. Evangelist.

John Estney, Abbot of this Monastery, mentioned before: His Effigies lyed upon his Tomb, curiously engraven in Brass, in his Vestments, Mitre, Pastoral Staff, and an Epitaph round the Verge.

Sir John Harpedon, Kt. 1457. On his Tomb is the Image of a Knight in Armour.

Sir Thomas Parry, Kt. Treasurer of the Household, and Master of the Court of Wards and Liveries to Queen Elizabeth, 1560.

Sir Francis Vere, Kt. Captain General of the English Forces in the United Provinces, in the latter Part of Queen Elizabeth's Reign, and Governour of Briel. Dyed 1608. He hath a very Magnificent Monument erected by his Lady.

Sir George Holles, Kt. a great Soldier, and Sergeant Major over the English Forces in the Low Countries. Dyed 1626. His Monument was set up by John Earl of Clare, his Brother.

In this Chapel lye also buried, but without Monuments or Grave Stones,

Thomas, first Lord Wentworth.

Richard Knevet, Esq; one of the Gentlemen Pensioners to Queen Elizabeth. Dyed 1559.

Sir