St. Anne's Parish. The Church. Monuments.85

St. Anne's Parish. The Church. Monuments.
[ Click here to view 
A Map of the Parish of St. Anns.
  A Map of the Parish of St. Anns. ]

ris Court. This Street is crossed by Leicester-street, of no great Account, being ordinarily built and inhabited; except the West End towards the Fields, where there is a very good House and Garden, which fronts the Fields. In this part of Swallow-street is Bell Yard, or Inn, for Stabling and Coaches: and farther up Swallow-street is another very large and commodious Yard for Coach-houses and Stabling. More Northwards is a pretty short Street, which opens into the Fields, called Burlington-street, in the Midst of which is a Yard for Stabling: And a little farther towards the Road this Street endeth, and falleth into a Lane that leadeth to the high Road.

Harris Court.

Leicester-street.

Bell Yard.

Burlington-street.

Beak-street butts against Warwick-street, cometh out of Swallow-street, and falleth into Silver-street, another small Street, on the Backside of Golden Square; and here is Pott's Yard, a pretty large Place for Stablings and Coaches.

Beak-street.

Silver-street.

Pott's Yard.

Golden Square, a very handsome open Place, railed round, and gravelled within; having very good Houses, inhabited by Gentry on all Sides. The Row of Buildings on the East Side is called James street; which Name it retaineth till it falls into Brewer's-street; and on the West Side, from Brewer's-street unto Silver-street, is called John's-street.

Golden Square.

James-street.

John's street.

King street cometh out of Beak-street and Silver-street, and runneth Northwards to the Road: It is a pretty good Street, having divers very good Houses fit for Gentry. On the West Side is the Chapel of Ease, by some called, The Tabernacle; near unto which is Hide's Court, of small Account. On the East Side is Cross-street, ordinarily built and inhabited; which falls into Carnaby street. And farther Northwards is another Passage into the upper End of Carnaby-street, and another into Swallow street, by Mr. Medwell's, a fine, large, and well built House, with a curious Garden before it. Then farther Northwards is a good Bowling Alley, well resorted unto.

King street.

Hide's Court.

Cross street.

Carnaby-street, an ordinary Street, which goes out of Silver-street, and runs Northwards almost to the Bowling Ground. On the East Side of this Street are the Earl of Craven's Pest-houses, seated in a large Piece of Ground, enclosed with a Brick Wall, and handsomely set with Trees, in which are Buildings for the Entertainment of Persons that shall have the Plague, when it shall please God that any Contagion shall happen.

Carnaby-street.

Earl of Craven's Pest-houses.

And these are the Boundaries, Streets, Places, and Buildings in this new Parish of St. James's.]


St. ANNE's Parish.

 

THIS Parish was also, by Act of Paliament of late Years, taken out of St. Martin's in the Fields.

St. Anne's Church.

J. S.

In the first Year of King James the Second, there was an Act of Parliament, to enable the Inhabitants of the Parish of St. Anne's within the Liberties of Westminster, to raise Money to build a Church, to be the Parish Church there. And it was built in a Parcel of Ground, called Kemp's Field, with the Church-yard. This Act was pursuant of a former Act 30. Car. II. entitled, An Act for making Part of the Parish of St. Martin's in the Fields a new Parish, to be called, The Parish of St. ANNE within the Liberties of Westminster. But wanting Money to finish the Church, (though the Building was finished to a convenient Height before) they were forced to get a new Act of 1. Jac. 2. that they might legally make an equal Distribution among themselves for the Performance thereof. By this Act thirty Persons were to be appointed by the Bishop of London, to be Supervisors and Commissioners for the Church. And after the Church is finished, the same to be Vestry-men for the said Parish. The Rector of St. Anne's Church, and Churchwardens, to be additional Supervisors and Commissioners. These, or any Nine of them, to assess the Inhabitants, Owners, and Occupiers of Lands, &c. for the Charges in building and finishing the Church, not exceeding 5000l.

An Act for building of St. Anne's Church.

It is fair Church; and is furnished with Pair of Organs, which were given by King William the Third to this Church, as the Queen had given a Pair to St. James's. And as there is a Chapel belonging to St. James's, so there is also a Chapel belonging to St. Anne's: Together with some other Chapels in these Parts, for the Use of the French Nation; where our Liturgy, turned into French, is used, French Ministers, that are Refugees, Episcopally ordained, officiating: Several whereof are hereabouts seen walking in the Canonical Habit of the English Clergy. Abundance of French People, many whereof are voluntary Exiles for their Religion, live in these Streets and Lanes, following honest Trades; and some Gentry of the same Nation.

The MONUMENTS in St. Anne's Church, for Remembrance of the Dead here interred, are these:

In the Chancel.

Before the Communion Table, a flat Stone for Mrs. Diana Farrel, deceased 1686. Whose Monument is against the North Wall; assiging her to be the Daughter of Charles Farrel, Esq; dying in the 22d Year of her Age.

Monuments.

Another flat Stone for Grace Mouldsworth, Wife to Hender Mouldsworth Esq; late Governour of Jamaica, 1687. She hath a Monument on the South Wall, by the Communion Table.

The Lady Florence Lanier, Wife to Sir John Lanier, 1691.

Sir John Lanier, one of his Majesties Lieutenants General. Who was at the Reduction of Scotland and Ireland, and dyed at Brussels, of his Wounds he received at the Battle of Engein in Flanders, 1692.

Against the South Wall, next the Communion Table, a sumptuous Monument for the Right Honourable the Lady Grace Pierpoint, Daughter to the most noble and puissant Prince Henry Pierpoint Marquess of Dorchester, deceased 1703, in the 68th Year of her Age.

Thomas Agar, Esq; Surveyor-general to King Charles the Second, and King James the Second, of all their Woods on the South Side Trent; and Carver in ordinary to Katharine Queen Dowager, 1687.

Egerton Hul, Son of Tho. Hul, of Surrey, Gent. 1687.

Gresham Hakewel, Son of Gresham Hakewel of Weston Turvile in the County of Bucks, Gent. 1692. Aged 16. Also Katharine Hakewel, his Daughter, 1692. Aged 18.

Farewel my only Comfort, Prop and Stay
Of my Family, wrapt and wound in Clay:
Would I had not liv'd to have known this Day, &c.
Written by their Father.

Elijah Hopkins, late of Newton in the County of Northampton, 1701. Aged 29.

Wondrous young Man, why wast thou made so good,
To be snatch'd hence, ere better understood?
Snatcht, before half enough of thee was seen,
Though ripe, but yet tender Life was green, &c.

James Hays, Apothecary, who married the Sister of the said Elijah Hopkins, some Time Apothecary to King William the Third, 1701.

Susanna