Covent Garden Parish. Monuments.89

Covent Garden Parish. Monuments.

pears in the Map thereof, as doth its Bounds, where it is circumscribed by the pricked Lines. And farther, in the Description of St. Martin's Parish, there is given the inner Girt Line, which is the outward Girt Line to this Parish.

Now for the Description of the Streets, Alleys, &c. I shall first begin with the most considerable, to wit, the Piazzo, or Garden.

Covent Garden, particularly so called, is a curious, large, and airy Square, enclosed by Rails, between which Rails and the Houses runs a fair Street. The Square is always kept well gravelled for the Accommodation of the People to walk there, and so raised with an easy Ascent to the Middle, that the Rain soon draineth off, and the gravelly Bottom becomes dry, fit to walk on.

Covent Garden.

In the Midst of this Garden, within the Rails, is a Stone Pillar or Column raised on a Pedestal, ascended by Steps, on which is placed a curious Sun-dial four Square; having above it a Mound gilt with Gold, all neatly wrought in Freestone. On the North and East Sides are Rows of very good and large Houses, called the Piazzo's, sustained by Stone Pillars, to support the Buildings. Under which are Walks, broad and convenient, paved with Freestone. The South Side lieth open to Bedford Garden, where there is a small Grotto of Trees, most pleasant in the summer Season; and in this Side there is kept a Market for Fruits, Herbs, Roots, and Flowers, every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday; which is grown to a considerable Account, and well served with choice Goods, which makes it much resorted unto. And on the West Side is the Church of St. Paul's Covent Garden, which though spacious and broad, yet, by the Art of the Workmen it admits of not one Pillar to support the lofty Roof, which was so well painted, that although a flat Ceiling, after the Italian Manner, yet it appears to be higher than it is; but this Painting is now much decayed. The Pews are well ordered, and the Galleries hung with Tapestry.

The Sun Dial.

A Market.

St. Paul's Covent Garden Church.

At the Entrance into this Church out of the Garden, there is a curious Portico ascended up by Steps, as well the Front Part, as both Sides: The Portico is sustained by four large Stone Pillars; the two Middlemost being round, and the others square, having a Door at each Side this Way, for Entrance; as also there be Doors on each Side of the Church, made uniform for a Passage into the Church-yard. And coming out of Bedford street is a very handsome Walk, with a Freestone Pavement, and Pallisado Pales on each Side, leading into the Church, through the Midst of the Church-yard. The like Walk is out of Henrietta-street, and King's-street, with Rows of Trees; which, when grown to Maturity, will be very ornamental. Likewise the coming into the Church on this Side, is ascended up by Freestone Steps.

The Portico.

And 'tis great Pity that there is not an handsome spired Steeple for an outward Ornament to the said Church. But however this Building deserveth to be taken Notice of by the Eye as well as by the Ear, and therefore I have added the Prospect of it.]


The MONUMENTS

 

In the Church of St. Paul's Covent Garden, are these that follow:

Against the South Wall, a fair Monument.

J. S.

S. M. Domini Gulielmi Stokeham, Medicinæ Doctoris. Natus est in Comitat. Nottingham, Cantabrigiæ primis literis imbutus est, Patavii Medicinæ Doctor factus est. Syndicus electus; & Statua donatus est. Ad suos reversus inter primos facillimè inclaruit, & medendi Artem in hac CiCivitate per tringinti annos optimo cum Successu exercuit, adornavit, Decimo quinto die Aprils, Anno Salutis 1698, & Ætatis suæ 63o longiori ab omnibus exoptato illi Fato, vita functus est. Marmor hoc propriis sumptibus erectum mœsta Conjux gratitudinis Ergô, Dicat, Consecrat.

To the pious Memory of two dear and entirely loving Brothers, Charles and Nathaniel Coney, Sons of George Coney, late Merchant of London. Descended from the ancient Family of Sir Tho. Coney of Basingthorp in the County of Lincoln, Kt. &c. Nathaniel dyed 1671. And Charles, after several his Benefactions and Gifts to charitable Uses, 1686. Octob. the 14th.

South Ile, a flat Stone laid upon

Anthony Wharton, Esq; late of Gillingwood in the County of York; who married Margaret, Daughter of Sir Will. Hickes, Kt. and Bart. late of Ruckholts in the Parish of Low Leyton in Essex. He departed this Life, Novemb 18. 1702. Left Issue one Son and three Daughters. Also Christopher, Robert and Mary Wharton, his Brothers and Sister, lie here interred.

Middle Ile.

Dame Elizabeth Digby late Baroness of Grashal in Ireland. She dyed the Wife of Sir Robert Bernard, Kt. and Bart. 1662.

On the North Wall.

A handsome Monument of white Marble, with the Figure of a Man half way, in Oval: Done by Gibbon the Statuary.

Hic situs est PETRUS LELIUS.
In Anglia famâ & divitiis crevit:
Primus scilicet in Arte pictoriâ Magister.
Ille secundus erit qui felicius imitabitur.
Mire Tabellas animavit; quibus pretium
Longè hinc dissita statuent sæcula.
Ipse interim dignissimus, cui Statua decernatur;
Qua ejus in seros nepotes referatur Gloria.
Obiit Noven. 30. Anno Ætatis suæ 63. Salutis 1680.

In P.L. Epitaph.
Proh dolor! ut cujus penicillo tanta venustas
Reddit adhuc vivos tot post sua funera Vultus,
Ipse cadaver iners, & tetro pulvere mistus
Nunc jaceat. Cum se primò subduxerat unus
LELIUS, innumeri surgunt de gente minorum
Pictores ausi fragiles tentare colores.
Sic postquam occubuit Sol aureas, astra repentè
Mille suos pandant cœli laquearibus ignes:
Quanquam mille licet, vix umbram unius adæquant.
PETRE, vale: nunquam merita te laude sequemur,
Majorem invidia neq; nostro carmine vives,
Ni te Gibbonius spirantem in marmore fingat.

Mary Shaw, Daughter of Edward Shaw and Margaret his Wife, of this Parish. She dyed April 9. 1670, in the 9th Year and 6th Month of her Age.

Epitaph.
Kind Reader turn thine Eyes away;
Look not on this beloved Clay.
Or if thou must, let fall a Tear
For her that was too fair, too dear
For our unworthy Earth. Whose Flight
Was only to eternal Light.
All but long Life to her was given:
She dyed on Earth, to live in Heaven.
Yet hadst thou known her, Reader, thou would'st cry,
How long she liv'd, how little thou and I?

There is a large Picture of K. Charles the First kneeling, with a Crown of Thorns in his Hand,

his